Mystery composer in painting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Peter View Post
    Then you simply must get to know of him! Here's the glorious Adagio from his 8th symphony for starters, one of the most sublime in all music.

[YOUTUBE] [url]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4zeXrFOPvA[/YOUTUBE]
    Thanks Peter for posting part of Bruckner's 8th Symphony, I finally got a chance to listen to it this morning. It's very beautiful, I especially like the way he uses the harp in certain sections of his music and gives it a softer feel when required. I must download some of his music and become more familiar with his work.

Comment

Originally posted by grace65 View Post
      Thanks Peter for posting part of Bruckner's 8th Symphony, I finally got a chance to listen to it this morning. It's very beautiful, I especially like the way he uses the harp in certain sections of his music and gives it a softer feel when required. I must download some of his music and become more familiar with his work.
      Bruckner is not an easy composer to get to grips with, the works are quite monumental and so different in conception to say a Brahms symphony. It took me a long time to appreciate his music, but now I think it is some of the most profound music written in the 19th century (Beethoven aside of course!).

By way of contrast to the Adagio from the 8th try the closing moments of Bruckner's 5th - is there much that is more rousing and majestic than this?:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QW8UCqR1l3c[/YOUTUBE]
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Bruckner is not an easy composer to get to grips with, the works are quite monumental and so different in conception to say a Brahms symphony. It took me a long time to appreciate his music, but now I think it is some of the most profound music written in the 19th century (Beethoven aside of course!).

By way of contrast to the Adagio from the 8th try the closing moments of Bruckner's 5th - is there much that is more rousing and majestic than this?:

It is very majestic. Honestly, I don't really know whether I like it or not, I only listened to it once. On just one hearing it seems to me that there is a lot going on. With some music it either clicks witb me straight away or I have to listen to the same music a few time, it will either grow on me, or I just don't like it. I will download a couple of his symponies in full. It's difficult to get the feel of a smypony when it's in bits and pieces.

Comment

It is very majestic. Honestly, I don't really know whether I like it or not, I only listened to it once. On just one hearing it seems to me that there is a lot going on. With some music it either clicks witb me straight away or I have to listen to the same music a few time, it will either grow on me, or I just don't like it. I will download a couple of his symponies in full. It's difficult to get the feel of a smypony when it's in bits and pieces.
          Yes I agree little snippets aren't the best way but they give an idea - try something more relaxing, this is an orchestral arrangement of the wonderful slow movement from Bruckner's quintet:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juZqMJDTk6I[/YOUTUBE]
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Yes I agree little snippets aren't the best way but they give an idea - try something more relaxing, this is an orchestral arrangement of the wonderful slow movement from Bruckner's quintet:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=juZqMJDTk6I[/YOUTUBE]
            Peter, this piece of music I really like. Thanks for sharing.

Comment

The scherzos would probably be a great way to start. They are easy to listen to and give a sense of what Bruckner is capable of. The scherzos from the 3rd, 4th, 7th, 8th, and 9th symphonies would be good ones to start on.

Comment

Thanks Sorrano, just looked on my phone to see if I can download a couple of Bruckner's scherzos, unfortunately there are no scherzos, so I'll download what ever I can. That should be a start.

Comment

Thanks Sorrano, just looked on my phone to see if I can download a couple of Bruckner's scherzos, unfortunately there are no scherzos, so I'll download what ever I can. That should be a start.
                  Here are a couple to try:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7XbigVE3PBU[/YOUTUBE]

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PwhmbK6Av_w[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                    Here are a couple to try:
                    Wow! I really enjoyed listening to Bruckner's scherzos, so powerful and full of energy. Thankyou Sorrano.

Comment

Wow! I really enjoyed listening to Bruckner's scherzos, so powerful and full of energy. Thankyou Sorrano.
                      You are welcome, Grace65! Here is the 7th symphony, a great performance. The 2nd movement is particularly well done:

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x_IbwlSXHpQ[/YOUTUBE]

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                        You are welcome, Grace65! Here is the 7th symphony, a great performance. The 2nd movement is particularly well done:
                        Had a listen to Bruckners 7th Symphony this evening while I had some peace and quiet. In the first movement there were a few sections which I enjoyed but as a whole found it very difficult to listen to. I don't know if it's me but, I couldn'nt hear a main theme. It sounded to me that Bruckner had so many wonderful ideas and tried to fit them all in the first movement. The second movement I really enjoyed. The third movement I absolutely loved. Again with the last movement I could'nt hear a main theme, (very much like the first movement) again there were a few sections that I did enjoy. As for the very end to me there was too much going on, which to my ears almost sounded messy and not clear. Like with any other composer it's impossible to like or appreciate everything they have written, at the end of the day it just comes down to personal taste. Thanks for sharing Sorrano.

Comment

Had a listen to Bruckners 7th Symphony this evening while I had some peace and quiet. In the first movement there were a few sections which I enjoyed but as a whole found it very difficult to listen to. I don't know if it's me but, I couldn'nt hear a main theme. It sounded to me that Bruckner had so many wonderful ideas and tried to fit them all in the first movement. The second movement I really enjoyed. The third movement I absolutely loved. Again with the last movement I could'nt hear a main theme, (very much like the first movement) again there were a few sections that I did enjoy. As for the very end to me there was too much going on, which to my ears almost sounded messy and not clear. Like with any other composer it's impossible to like or appreciate everything they have written, at the end of the day it just comes down to personal taste. Thanks for sharing Sorrano.
                          Yes, but our tastes change or rather we grow in our understanding. I can think of many works that were incomprehensible to me on first hearing years ago, but now are amongst my favourite pieces. At least your initial reaction wasn't entirely hostile as was the case when Clara Schumann heard the 7th! As I mentioned earlier, Bruckner is a difficult composer and it took me a good 30 years to appreciate him and I'm not entirely there yet!
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

For me, listening to Bruckner is much like looking at a scenic panorama. As I gaze upon the mountains I become aware of flowers over here, and admire their beauty. Then I note the formation of the clouds over the mountains, and then I see the light play upon the water. The birds interrupt with their songs, and so forth.

Also, enjoy the colors of the instrumental groupings. Bruckner was a master at orchestral color. The years that he spent studying under Sechter (I believe that was his name) also shows in his Baroque style contrapuntal writing.

To really listen and enjoy the music one has to not focus so much on the thematic material and where it goes, but to enjoy each sound and nuance as the work unfolds. This evening I am going to be listening/watching a performance of his 9th Symphony.

Comment

Working...
                            X