• Show
Clear All

Rare Page

The 'cello version of the Horn sonata is available on
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/rare.html

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

This is an excellent CD which also includes the 3 sets of cello variations. The right performance, the right instruments, the right sound. How often do we get all 3 together like this?

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

This is a very fine recording - I really like this 'cello version. I performed this when I was still at school in the original version - I don't think either the Horn player or myself achieved quite the effect produced here!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
        This is a very fine recording - I really like this 'cello version. I performed this when I was still at school in the original version - I don't think either the Horn player or myself achieved quite the effect produced here!
        I've got two versions on CD with valveless horn and fp, these are really great (given that the part is not designed to make the most of the cello). The valveless model has this extra rasping edge and colour you don't get from the later type. The pianist is particulaly excellent in the current recording, although the disk gives the cellist the headline.

Comment

Hm...wait a second, now. Does this arrangement have an opus number of its own (I couldn't find one) or is it known by a WoO number or something like that (couldn't find one of those either)?

Comment

Why the piano trio was available for such a short time? We have a new update regime of the rare page?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
              Hm...wait a second, now. Does this arrangement have an opus number of its own (I couldn't find one) or is it known by a WoO number or something like that (couldn't find one of those either)?
              It is simply Op.17 - rather confusing!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
                Why the piano trio was available for such a short time? We have a new update regime of the rare page?
                This is simply due to the upheavals with the forum - once we get settled again we will resume a more regular weekly pattern.

------------------
                'Man know thyself'
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                  This is not unique, we refer to the violin version of op11 as op11, and the quartet version of op16 as op16.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 02-09-2002).]

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
                    Well, I thought the trio was available for a week, did I get my dates wrong? I'm afraid there can be no concrete date for the update, I'm a very busy and important man don't you know? I suggest everyone downloads at their earliest opportunity. I've got just too much good stuff you give you unworthy guys a free sample of. By the time I'm finished you'll all be hooked on fortepianos and Steinway will go bust.

------------------

Comment

Don't worry. I donwloaded the trio.

Comment

Working...
                      X