Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm still reading Jan Swafford's chapter on the Eroica -- it's quite lengthy -- which draws me to performances of the third. I must confess I've never been wholly satisfied with any hard-copy recording in my library. Either the performance isn't propulsive or fiery enough, recorded sound isn't up to snuff, or one or more orchestra sections don't project with authority. Having listened to Chailly / Leipzig several times and quite liking it, I gave Jansons/Bavarian Radio Symphony a try and find I enjoy it too! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nmfLIerVubk

I then moved on to Thielemann/VPO with much apprehension. (Mr Thielemann and I don't alway see eye to eye.) What I've heard thus far is far different from Chailly/Jansons. Slower (but not overly slow). Obvious use of tempo rubato and what some might term 'milking'. Much to my surprise, it works for me. I quite enjoy it in its very different way. Again, I've not heard it all, and might alter my opinion. For now I'll give movement one a firm thumbs-up. (A confession. During one of Thielemann's tempo rubato passages I found the results pleasing my eyes misted for a moment. I'm used to tears during the second moment, but not so much with the first.) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MC8LjoIaS4g

Addendum: I have now listened to the entire Thielemann/VPO Eroica. Alas. The second movement proved a disappointment. Too slow overall, with tempo adjustments that didn't work for me. (It almost comes to a stop at times.) On the other hand, I found the scherzo principal section quite enjoyable...it brought a smile to my face. Its Trio didn't come off badly. The worst I can say for it is that, like almost every performance of the Eroica I've encountered, the low horn didn't speak with enough authority. (I'd love to hear Sarah Willis perform this. She, if anyone, could do the low horn part justice.) The finale wasn't half bad. Tempo rubato was mostly kept under control and confined to the spots you'd expect it. I liked some of it and found none of it objectionable. I found the horns slightly too subdued in much of the coda, another common failing. So I mixed review from me. I continue to find the opening movement well worth a listen.

On other matters, I just listened to (for the umpteenth time) a performance I can wholeheartedly endorse, Schubert's Erlkonig as transpired for solo piano by Franz Liszt, played by a young Marina Yakhalakova. Here's proper tempo rubato! I've heard many a virtuoso dash through this lickity-split not dropping a note. But Ms Yakhalakova brings out the poetry. I hear individual voices uttering their lines (in translation of course). https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q7DR0QJru-A

PS: I hope folk don't mind me sometimes stating personal opinions about what I listen to. It just seems to me that when I provide links I should also justify why I find them worth following.
    Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 08-21-2014, 04:29 PM.

Comment

Handel's Messiah
      Musica Sacra, 1981
      Richard Westenburg, Music Director.
      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

This morning:
        Berwald: Symphony #3 in C, "Sinfonie singuliere"

Comment

Sounds like you have been doing a lot of reading and listening DP!
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Dvorak's wonderful symphony no.7 - tomorrow his glorious 8th.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Gardiner's Missa Solemnis; gearing myself up for Tuesday. I feel like a kid again on the night before Christmas. I've seen the Missa Solemnis twice already (first time I arrived late and missed the Kyrie and Gloria), but I now know the piece far more intimately, and I love Gardiner's version.

Comment

"The Creatures of Prometheus" (orchestral and piano version).
                Beethoven's only ballet (if you discount the tiny "Ritterballet" which has been given the distinguished catalogue number of WoO 1).

Some absolutely gorgeous music here from the rich top end of B's first period.

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                  Sounds like you have been doing a lot of reading and listening DP!
                  So it seems. I'm rather spotty in my listening habits, periods when I devote a great deal of time to it followed by stretches where I barely listen at all. Reading the two new Beethoven bios has triggered an intense listening spell, or rather intensified an in-progress spell.

As for today, I listened to another Andras Schiff Beethoven piano sonata lecture, this one devoted to Op 109. (I heard the Op 111 lecture sometime yesterday, if memory serves.)

Earlier in the day I continued my Eroica marathon, listening to the Gardiner / Orchestre Révolutionnaire et Romantique rendition as heard accompanying the BBC film "Eroica". Of all the Beethoven symphonies, the third is the one I most enjoy hearing performed by an "authentic instrument" ensemble. What's more, I grow more and more convinced that much horn writing in the third almost demands to be heard with proper "stopping" to sound its best. Some conductors add natural horns and/or trumpets to an otherwise modern orchestra. That can certainly be effective. Barring that, I see no reason why modern horns can't be stopped when needed. In any case I quite like the horn work in this performance. Here are its concluding few minutes, starting at the Poco Andante before the Coda. This for me is how Beethoven horns should sound. http://youtu.be/cCChkSRtGdQ?t=40m59s

ADDENDUM: Now the 23rd, I'll tack this on since the post still allows edits. This morning I listened to three Beethoven piano sonatas...Op 28 (Pastoral), Op 31 No 1, Op 31 No 3 (Hunt) as performed by John O'Connor on Telarc CD. I then took the break that allowed me to at last unearth the definitive cause of the Ninth Symphony bassoon controversy. Afterward I watched/heard Andras Schiff's lecture-recital on piano sonata Op 7 at YouTube. The morning ended with an Alfred Brendel CD rendition of the Eroica Variations.

This afternoon I listened to Mozart's divertimento for K439b No 1 for two clarinets and bassoon. CD notes indicate that it was originally written for either two basset horns and bassoon or three bassoon horns, but that the manuscript is lost so this can't be verified. I then watched the entirety of Carl Dreyer's 1928 silent film "The Passion of Joan of Arc" with the Richard Einhorn "Voices of Light" music track. I watched it as a Criterion DVD. "Passion..." can be found at YouTube, but sadly not with Einhorn's music.
                  Last edited by Decrepit Poster; 08-23-2014, 08:34 PM.

Comment

Cherubini. Missa Solemnis D minor.
                    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

I've not done an awful lot of listening thus far today. I did watch, thanks to endorsements in another of our threads, "Beethoven Lives Upstairs." I also rewatched the "First Love" episode in which Sue Perkins takes up the piano after many years of neglect and ends performing the Andante Cantabile from the Pathetique in concert. The listening day began with me attempting to listen to the Appassionata via CD. Found myself suffering listener's fatigue and couldn't concentrate. Gave up after the first movement.

(At the end of the day yesterday I heard Mozart's symphony no 39 at YouTube.)

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
                        I've not done an awful lot of listening thus far today. I did watch, thanks to endorsements in another of our threads, "Beethoven Lives Upstairs." I also rewatched the "First Love" episode in which Sue Perkins takes up the piano after many years of neglect and ends performing the Andante Cantabile from the Pathetique in concert. The listening day began with me attempting to listen to the Appassionata via CD. Found myself suffering listener's fatigue and couldn't concentrate. Gave up after the first movement.

(At the end of the day yesterday I heard Mozart's symphony no 39 at YouTube.)
                        Did you like "Beethoven Lives Upstairs"? What did you think of
                        Neil Monroe as our Maestro?

Sue Perkins played Pathetique?! Have you got a link? I'd love to see that.
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                          Did you like "Beethoven Lives Upstairs"? What did you think of
                          Neil Monroe as our Maestro?

Sue Perkins played Pathetique?! Have you got a link? I'd love to see that.
                          I quite enjoyed "Beethoven Lives Upstairs". I had known of its existence for years, but assumed it a "kiddie" film of little interest to adults. Was quite pleasantly surprised.

The poster of Sue Perkin's "First Love" episode divides it into four parts. Here is a link to part 1. From there the remaining parts are easily found. http://youtu.be/xL2zGOAt1Y4?t=36s
                          (I attempted to bypass a bit of unnecessary advert at the beginning.)

I find the episode rather touching. It brings out a side of Ms Perkins not normally encountered.

Listening wise, just after supper I watched/heard Valentina Lisitsa perform the Pathetique (YouTube). How could I not, after watching the Perkin's Episode?

On the subject of Beethoven films, has anyone seen the 1937/8 Abel Gance "Un Grand Amour de Beethoven" in its entirety? The few excerpts I've seen at YouTube are artistic but decidedly "odd". Here's one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm_IUWYR39A

Comment

I quite enjoyed "Beethoven Lives Upstairs". I had known of its existence for years, but assumed it a "kiddie" film of little interest to adults. Was quite pleasantly surprised.
                            Yes, it is not childish at all! It was aimed at children, being included in music curriculums and is quite acclaimed! I laughed out loud when I first saw Christoph get up in the night and open Beethoven's door - his face is a picture at the sight of Beethoven composing!

The poster of Sue Perkin's "First Love" episode divides it into four parts. Here is a link to part 1. From there the remaining parts are easily found. http://youtu.be/xL2zGOAt1Y4?t=36s
                            (I attempted to bypass a bit of unnecessary advert at the beginning.)

I find the episode rather touching. It brings out a side of Ms Perkins not normally encountered.
                            Thanks I shall watch that tomorrow.

Listening wise, just after supper I watched/heard Valentina Lisitsa perform the Pathetique (YouTube). How could I not, after watching the Perkin's Episode?
                            Of course. I do prefer Ronald Brautigam's playing of it on fortepiano though.

On the subject of Beethoven films, has anyone seen the 1937/8 Abel Gance "Un Grand Amour de Beethoven" in its entirety? The few excerpts I've seen at YouTube are artistic but decidedly "odd". Here's one. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Wm_IUWYR39A

Errr yeah...the actor is at least 20 years too old to be playing Beethoven in 1802, and not only was there no windmill at the house he stayed at, but he was there alone- certainly no Therese von Brunsvik visits.
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                            X