• Show
Clear All

This morning:
    Holmsen: Scherzo, Op 1/2
    Balakirev: Scherzo #2 in b-flat
    Chopin: Scherzo #4 in E, Op 54

No joking.

Comment

Haydn's Creation Oratorio that just arrived in today's mail. It is sung in English. Conducted by Robert Shaw. Atlanta Symphony.

Oh and last night I finished watching my new DVD of Abbado's La Cenerentola--wonderful! Frederica von Stade has an amazing voice! CD of Massanet's Cendrillon is on it's way for my next opera to sample--von Stade of course!
      Last edited by Harvey; 07-15-2014, 12:19 AM.
      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

This morning:
        Mendelssohn: Cello Sonata #1 in B-Flat, Op 45

There's always room for cello.

Comment

Beethoven Trio Op. 36. Wow this sounded familiar and after some Googling I found out why. It is a transcription of Symphony 2 for piano, violin and cello? Fascinating!

Here it is on You Tube.
          Last edited by Harvey; 07-15-2014, 05:01 PM.
          "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Beethoven, 32 Variations in C minor, WoO80.
            An amazing work, which packs more into ten minutes than whole symphonies by Bruckner, etc. (Sorry, Peter )

All the more surprising then to find that Beethoven did not dignify it with an Opus number and was supposed to have said in later years: "Did I write that? Oh, Beethoven, what were you up to?"
            A strange remark about a fine work in one of his favourite keys.

Comment

This morning:

Kodály: Symphony in C (1961)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                An amazing work, which packs more into ten minutes than whole symphonies by Bruckner, etc. (Sorry, Peter )

All the more surprising then to find that Beethoven did not dignify it with an Opus number and was supposed to have said in later years: "Did I write that? Oh, Beethoven, what were you up to?"
                It is a fine piece and I agree Beethoven was rather harsh if he really did say that. I played it many years ago and it is difficult - haven't felt an urge to revisit it though. As for Bruckner, well it took me many years to appreciate him - try the quintet adagio I've posted in that thread!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

The brilliant Irish John Field's Nocturne no.3 in A flat major. I hadn't listened to this for ages. It is wonderful! Contemptuous with Beethoven and under rated under rated under rated!!!!!!!!!

Do you like his music Michael?
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                  Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Awesome! Yes Beethoven wins he he. I think I've heard it on his radio! Now looking for a fortepiano version on you tube...

Was Beethoven forgetful in his later years lol?!

Reminds me of a story about Patrick Moore ( yes Patrick Moore the astronomer...) who also wrote music...one day he was driving and heard some classical music on the radio. He liked it and turned the volume up. At the end the DJ named he, Patrick, as the composer- he'd forgotten he'd written it lol!
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Haydn symphonies 103 and 104.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven Creatures of Prometheus

Comment

Beethoven piano concerto no.4 - Murray Perahia / Haitink
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

This morning:
                            Arensky: String Quartet #2 in a, Op 35

Comment

This morning:
                              Bartók: Dance Suite (1923)
                              Gossec: "Suite de Danses"

Comment

Beethoven, String Quartet Opus 130, Lindsays.

Comment

Working...
                                X