• Show
Clear All

This morning:
    Gabrielli:
    Ricercar V
    Sonata XX
    GABRIELI, Andrea: Ricercar a 4 del primo tuono

Comment

Hi, I'm new to the forum. While I was cleaning up today I was listening to Beethoven's 5th and 8th Symphonies.

Comment

Originally posted by grace65 View Post
        Hi, I'm new to the forum. While I was cleaning up today I was listening to Beethoven's 5th and 8th Symphonies.
        Hi grace65,
        I'm a recently returning member but would like to welcome you to the forum anyway. Everyone is nice here and very informative and helpful. I hope you have fun here!

haydnguy

Comment

Listening to Mozart's Mass in C minor, through the link provided by hal9000 (http://www.gyrix.com/forums/showpost...46&postcount=9). The Kyrie I think is one of those places where we can have a glimpse at the depths of his heart. How unfortunate for us to have the work only in a fragmentary state.

Comment

Hello and welcome - the 8th is probably my overall favourite Beethoven symphony mainly because of the extraordinary finale.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              Hello and welcome - the 8th is probably my overall favourite Beethoven symphony mainly because of the extraordinary finale.
              It's the one symphony that I have grown to appreciate the most. It was Robert Greenberg's lecture on this symphony that gave me the insight on how Beethoven in the finale subverted musical tropes of sonata form, like key areas, in a humorous "wink to the audience", that made me see this work in a new light. It's Beethoven having a little fun.

The 8th is not a serious Beethoven symphony, but it is as inventive (perhaps even more so) than his other symphonies. Not every symphony has to "contain the world" or be "no joke", and I will point any uninformed person to this symphony when they claim Beethoven's music is too serious and heavy and lacking in the lighter exploits of other composers like Mozart and Haydn.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
                Listening to Mozart's Mass in C minor, through the link provided by hal9000 (http://www.gyrix.com/forums/showpost...46&postcount=9). The Kyrie I think is one of those places where we can have a glimpse at the depths of his heart. How unfortunate for us to have the work only in a fragmentary state.
                Great scene.

Listening to Mahler's orchestration of Beethoven's Serioso.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome. I have briefly looked through the topics discussed and found them very interesting. It's wonderful to see so many people who still love and appreciate Beethoven's music. Beethoven is my favorite composer but unfortunately none of my family and friends share the same passion as I do. My father was the only person I knew that loved classical music but unfortunately he passed away 3 years ago. He was the one who introduced me to Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, etc when I was a child. Beethoven's 8th symphony is very special to me because when I listen to it ,I have very fond memories of my father playing his records every Saturday morning. I have read a lot of books on Beethoven, but I have to admit I'm no guru when it comes to his life or music. Thank you again for your warm welcome and I'm looking forward to discussing any future topics.

Comment

Thank you for the welcome. I have briefly looked through the topics discussed and found them very interesting. It's wonderful to see so many people who still love and appreciate Beethoven's music. Beethoven is my favorite composer but unfortunately none of my family and friends share the same passion as I do. My father was the only person I knew that loved classical music but unfortunately he passed away 3 years ago. He was the one who introduced me to Beethoven, Mozart, Chopin, etc when I was a child. Beethoven's 8th symphony is very special to me because when I listen to it ,I have very fond memories of my father playing his records every Saturday morning. I have read a lot of books on Beethoven, but I have to admit I'm no guru when it comes to his life or music. Thank you again for your warm welcome and I'm looking forward to discussing any future topics.
                    Thanks for sharing that and feel free to ask what you like about Beethoven and classical music. For me it was the other way round, as a child I introduced my family to Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart.
                    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Welcome Grace! Your dear Father gave you a wonderful gift.I love the 8th too.
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                        For me it was the other way round, as a child I introduced my family to Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart.
                        You did Peter!! That is great! And how did you discover Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart?
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                          You did Peter!! That is great! And how did you discover Beethoven, Haydn and Mozart?
                          Well I was learning piano, but also hidden amongst my father's many Jazz Lps were 4 classical Lps which were never played - Haydn's symphony no.94 (appropriately named 'Surprise'!), Tchaikoksky's 1812, Delibes Ballet music and some light overtures(Suppe, Rossini etc ) It was my first real introduction to orchestral music and I was hooked, particularly by the Haydn. From there at around the age of 12 I joined the local music library and used to take out a Classical record each week, particularly Beethoven - I can still recall the thrill of hearing Beethoven's music for the first time. I then started buying Lps with my pocket money and still have them, but of course they've been duplicated first with cassette tapes, then cds. My father got particularly hooked on Beethoven's Emperor concerto, but all the family now listen predominantly to classical music. Strange though, my Brother listens to mainly Baroque and my parents mainly the classical era - they never progressed to the Romantics!
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

It's the one symphony that I have grown to appreciate the
                            most. It was Robert Greenberg's lecture on this symphony that gave me the insight on how Beethoven in the finale subverted musical tropes of sonata form, like key areas, in a humorous "wink to the audience", that made me see this work in a new light. It's Beethoven having a little fun.
                            It's a great symphony and I bet his audience knew his wink!

The 8th is not a serious Beethoven symphony, but it is as inventive (perhaps even more so) than his other symphonies. Not every symphony has to "contain the world" or be "no joke", and I will point any uninformed person to this symphony when they claim Beethoven's music is too serious and heavy and lacking in the lighter exploits of other composers like Mozart and Haydn.
                            We have a whole thread about Ludwig's humour in his music. Of course he could be very serious, but he was also known to have a wonderful sense of humour and a liking for jokes.
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Well I was learning piano, but also hidden amongst my father's many Jazz Lps were 4 classical Lps which were never played - Haydn's symphony no.94 (appropriately named 'Surprise'!),
                              Oh the Surprise! I have hard some of that- I really must listen to all of it.

Tchaikoksky's 1812, Delibes Ballet music and some light overtures(Suppe, Rossini etc ) It was my first real introduction to orchestral music and I was hooked, particularly by the Haydn.
                              I am glad Haydn hooked you! He is under rated I think.

From there at around the age of 12 I joined the local music library and used to take out a Classical record each week, particularly Beethoven - I can still recall the thrill of hearing Beethoven's music for the first time.
                              Wow- aged 12! You already had a discerning ear there Peter!!!
                              Yes, discovering Beethoven is always a thrill, no matter what age you find him!

I then started buying Lps with my pocket money and still have them, but of course they've been duplicated first with cassette tapes, then cds.
                              How nice you still have the LPs! I have some Beethoven LPs myself- but no record player! I got them for 10p each from the second hand book store. I do plan to get a record player from a second hand shop one of these days. I do have a 1930 gramophone, but one should never play vinyl on those!!!

My father got particularly hooked on Beethoven's Emperor concerto, but all the family now listen predominantly to classical music. Strange though, my Brother listens to mainly Baroque and my parents mainly the classical era - they never progressed to the Romantics!

My late brother liked the Baroque and choral music. Another brother likes Chopin a lot- he plays Chopin in his office ( he's a mental health nurse)- I think it helps keep him sane!

Myself, I started with Chopin!
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Bruckner symphony no.9
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X