X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
    This:

Arrived from eBay this morning. I paid £1.27 ( p&p included)- bargain!
    Found one of them on You Tube. Very nice. 9 Variazioni in la maggiore sul tema: "Quant'è bello l'amor contadino", da "La Molinara" di Paisiello, WoO 69. A shame the CD is $30 USD.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
      I think Mahler might have been inspired by the 4th's opening judging by the opening of his first symphony, which also breaks into a sunny upbeat theme.
      And perhaps both were inspired by Haydn's symphony no.103 which does the same!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyuqoSa6BXU
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        And perhaps both were inspired by Haydn's symphony no.103 which does the same!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VyuqoSa6BXU
        I was half expecting Berlioz's Dies Irae in those opening seconds. I can definitely see Beethoven deriving inspiration from this; he even uses the winds to similar effect to punctuate the phrases and add to the musical space. Didn't Beethoven once say that he learnt nothing from Haydn? You're fooling no one, Louis.

I really should get more acquainted with Mr. Haydn. He's brilliant.

Comment

I was half expecting Berlioz's Dies Irae in those opening seconds. I can definitely see Beethoven deriving inspiration from this; he even uses the winds to similar effect to punctuate the phrases and add to the musical space.
          I will have to have a listen to that sometime.

Didn't Beethoven once say that he learnt nothing from Haydn? You're fooling no one, Louis.
          LOL... That was youthful bravado I think! I can notice some Haydn influence in one of his early sonatas!

Me too- I like what I have heard, but aim to hear a lot more. I think he is rather under rated.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Today, Rossini's La Cenerentola followed by Mendelssohn's Elijah.
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
              I was half expecting Berlioz's Dies Irae in those opening seconds. I can definitely see Beethoven deriving inspiration from this; he even uses the winds to similar effect to punctuate the phrases and add to the musical space. Didn't Beethoven once say that he learnt nothing from Haydn? You're fooling no one, Louis.

Well as we know Beethoven had a quick temper and the two fell out. Beethoven probably did learn little from Haydn's instruction, but he learnt a great deal from Haydn's music - he is musically closer to Haydn than Mozart.

Listening to Claudio Arrau playing Chopin's Andante Spinato and Grande Polonaise in preparation for learning the piece during the summer break.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hummel - Te Deum and Missa Solemnis, they deserve to be better known.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Triple Concerto (LvB) and Strauss' Four Last Songs w/ Lucia Popp.

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                  Hummel - Te Deum and Missa Solemnis, they deserve to be better known.
                  Thanks. It is very wonderful: Hummel - Te Deum and Missa Solemnis
                  Last edited by Harvey; 07-07-2014, 02:35 AM.

Comment

Yesterday I heard a wonderful concerto with my favourite pianist - Daniel Barenboim - and Marga Argerich: They performed an outstanding Mozart piano sonata for 2 pianos, KV 448, and wonderful variations from Schubert which were altogether new for me:

http://www.arte.tv/guide/de/052432-0...32-000_PLUS7-D

Gerd

Comment

LISZT: Via Crucis; Missa Choralis
                      BBC Northern Singers
                      Francis Jackson (organ)
                      Gordon Thorne, conductor

This music is so different it is hard to believe that Liszt wrote this. I have this same program with Matthew West conducting on hyperion but Spotify doesn't have that one. (I'm listening on my laptop which doesn't have a CD player)

Comment

Beethoven symphony no.7 / Chamber orchestra of Europe, Nikolaus Harnoncourt
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven/Liszt - Symphony No. 9 in D minor, Op. 125 (Cyprien Katsaris)

Comment

If I might show my ignorance, I was curious as to why you included Liszt's name in the composers. I was unable to find a mention on wikipedia for that piece. I am listening to a lot of Liszt at present and was curious. Thanks.

Comment

Liszt did piano transcriptions of Beethoven's symphonies. Here is the Seventh.

Comment

This morning:
                                Buonamente: "Corrente terza e quarta"
                                Beethoven: "Leonore" Overture #2 in C, Op 72a

Comment

Working...
                                X