X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now?

Bach orchestral suites - Roy Goodman/Brandenberg Consort
    'Man know thyself'

Violin Sonata in G major op 96, first movement....this will always be one of my top favourites of his music. It is just so magical.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

My 7th time through on Rossini's La Cenerentola since the set arrived last Thursday!
      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Beethoven: The Early Quartets
        Takacs Quartet

Comment

Originally posted by haydnguy View Post
          Beethoven: The Early Quartets
          Takacs Quartet
          Nice one! I am listening to his 4th Symphony right now- one I don't know as well as the 5th, 6th, 7th and 9th.

The opening is really quite astonishing as it is quite sombre, and you get quite a surprise when it bursts all of a sudden to the sunny allegro! I am sure that was his intention!
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Yes, I see what you mean about the contrast from the opening. I just watched Symphony No. 4 on Youtube, from the Proms 2012 Daniel Barenboim conducting. It was quite good!

Comment

Originally posted by haydnguy View Post
              Yes, I see what you mean about the contrast from the opening. I just watched Symphony No. 4 on Youtube, from the Proms 2012 Daniel Barenboim conducting. It was quite good!
              I must watch that myself!
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

This morning:
                Halvorsen: "Festival March"
                Liszt: "Rákóczy March" (1871)
                Saint-Saëns: "Marche héroïque," Op 34

Hmmm, feels like the 3rd month of the year already.

Comment

Mozart's Mass in C minor KV 427

Wonderful. A redundant a statement as there ever was, but Mozart was a special kind of person.

Comment

CD- Frederic Chopin: Piano Concerto no 2, Grand Fantasia of Polish Airs, op13, Andante Spianato and Grand Polonaise, played by Emanuel Ax on an 1851 London Erard! With the Orchestra of Enlightenment and Sir Charles Mackerras.

The "ready made tone" of the Erard is, in fact, revealed to us as an instrument of great sophistication, with a wonderful contrast between the registers-a character largely designed out of our modern instruments.

David Winston, who restored the London Erard piano.

Emmanuel Ax loved playing this piano!

The sound was a revelation! The modern piano, well regulated, produces a very even sound throughout the registers from bass to treble- in fact, that represents one of the hallmarks of a good instrument. This Erard offers a more brilliant and less sustained projection of sound in the treble, and more mellowness and roundness in the bass, which naturally affects the choice of tempo and makes the improvisational quality of Chopin's decorative top lines so much more evident.
                    Given that one need not project a huge sound in a large hall, the variety of sound makes all balance problems between the hands disappear and gives the music a more incisive and exciting character than I have been used to.

The pianos of the 1840s and 1850s are stunning to listen to!!!
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Elgar: Violin Concerto
                      Vaughn Williams: The Lark Ascending
                      Hillary Hahn

Beethoven: The Middle Quartets
                      Takacs Quartet

Comment

This morning:
                        Janácek: Wind Sextet, "Mládí (Youth)"
                        WILSON: Suite, "From My Youth", Op 5

Comment

This:

Arrived from eBay this morning. I paid £1.27 ( p&p included)- bargain!
                          Last edited by AeolianHarp; 07-03-2014, 10:58 PM.
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                            Nice one! I am listening to his 4th Symphony right now- one I don't know as well as the 5th, 6th, 7th and 9th.

The opening is really quite astonishing as it is quite sombre, and you get quite a surprise when it bursts all of a sudden to the sunny allegro! I am sure that was his intention!
                            I think Mahler might have been inspired by the 4th's opening judging by the opening of his first symphony, which also breaks into a sunny upbeat theme.

Comment

Took a break from La Cenerentola to listen to Beethoven's nine symphonies. As the Ninth just ended as I am typing this, I am going to begin listening to my Mendelssohn Elijah set that arrived today.
                              "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                              --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Working...
                              X