Great articles on Fidelio

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great articles on Fidelio

I'm listening to Fidelio now on his radio, and felt inspired to read some reviews on it.

Now those famous bars proclaim the opening of Beethoven's one and only opera, Fidelio—one of his greatest works, containing some of the most glorious music ever conceived by a mortal, one of the most cherished and revered of all operas, a timeless monument to love, life, and liberty, a celebration of human rights, of freedom to speak out, to dissent. It's a political manifesto against tyranny and oppression, a hymn to the beauty and sanctity of marriage, an exalted affirmation of faith in God as the ultimate human resource. All of those, and more, are Beethoven's Fidelio.....

http://www.leonardbernstein.com/ypc_...on_of_life.htm

The Music of Fidelio

When I look back across my entire life, I find no event to place beside this in the impression it produced on me.
    — Wagner on seeing a performance of Fidelio

Beethoven was not a facile composer; virtually everything he wrote was accompanied by tremendous, sometimes monumental effort. We can easily see this when we look at existent manuscripts and sketch books from the composer's hand. The surfaces are often covered with erasure marks, cross-hatching, passages hidden by solid ink blots and disconnected notes flying from one end of the page to the other. It often took years for him to complete a symphony, sonata or string quartet, to say nothing of Fidelio which was the result of a twelve-year creative process, at the end of which the composer had still not produced a single, definitive version of the work.

Whether by accident or purposeful calculation, this sense of struggle is communicated in the music of Fidelio to a great degree. Surely all of the classic elements that we recognize as being peculiar to Beethoven are present in the score: heightened emotion, syncopation and heavily accented weak beats, a sense of equality amongst all of the sections of the orchestra, a motivic rather than a melodic approach to musical development and an overall sense of craggy individualism, the singular artist battling against all odds for meaning and understanding. One will find all of these Beethovenian hallmarks in nearly every one of the composer's mature works. These style characteristics were surely enhanced by his gradual deafness, a handicap that must have underscored the sense of isolation that he already experienced due to his unique personality. ...

https://www.sdopera.com/Content/Oper...elio/Music.htm
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Thanks for posting. Bernstein's review is excellent, but he does sayit is a flawed masterpiece, which the second article points out "Many critics consider Fidelio a flawed masterpiece." I think that most of the flaws come in in the performance when it is not performed in a way as Beethoven meant it to be performed, so I ditch any 20th century settings and any avant garde settings. To me, the finest Fidelio performance is the 1978 Bernstein conducted performance with Gundula Janowitz as Leonora, Lucia Popp as Marzellina, Manfred Jungwirth as Rocco, Rene Kollo as Florestan--although Placido Domingo looked much more the part of Florestan in a film version:

Anyway, the Abscheulicher recitative and following aria by Janowitz is unsurpassed! Janowitz plays the part of Leonora absolutely beautifully, even to the facial expressions of consternation at the thought of the marriage approaching so closely.

I can't recommend the Bernstein Fidelio DVD enough. As for the CD, well I have it, but was driven to rip the sound from the DVD because there was more realism in it, more emotion.

Ah what a sublime opera! An opera like none other--ever!
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Ah what a sublime opera! An opera like none other--ever!
      Yes. I must get the Bernstein DVD sometime.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

The quartet from Act 1.
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Thanks Harvey!
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Bernstein's performance of Fidelio is also my favorite. I have the CD collection but I must get the dvd. Lucia Popp is my favorite soprano (especially her performances as Mozart's Queen of the Night). This dvd will be my Xmas wish this year.
            "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
              Bernstein's performance of Fidelio is also my favorite. I have the CD collection but I must get the dvd. Lucia Popp is my favorite soprano (especially her performances as Mozart's Queen of the Night). This dvd will be my Xmas wish this year.
              The DVD of the opera was recorded separately from the CD, which was done in the studio. I have both and I liked the DVD sound track so much better that we found a application to rip the files to a music format, and that is what I listen to anymore. There is a greater sense of reality with the soundtrack as they were actually performing the opera.

Lucia Popp plays Marzllina in the Bernstein DVD. I believe there is one out there (either CD or DVD I can't remember) where Lucia is Leonora and Gundula is Marzilina. That would be interesting, but I better stop talking about it or I will find myself searching Amazon and buying it, and the last thing I need is more CDs--but it is sure that I will get more CDs. It is like food and water to a classical music enthusiast.

Comment

I just bought the Bernstein Fidelio DVD off ebay! I shall let you know how I find it when it arrives!
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                  I just bought the Bernstein Fidelio DVD off ebay! I shall let you know how I find it when it arrives!
                  Wonderful. Hope you got a nice price.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                    Wonderful. Hope you got a nice price.
                    Fidelio arrived very quickly! It came yesterday. I haven't watched it yet- I will watch it when I finish my summer EFL teaching job at the end of this month. I only get 1 day off a week and am so tired! I went to see Cosi fan tutte last Wednesday and was struggling to stay awake near the end- not that it was boring; I was just worn out! So, I will watch Fidelio when I have finished the job and am not tired so I can give it my full attention.

Price of the DVD was good- £10, including p&p.
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

You are very disciplined. My La Cenerentola (Rossini) arrived Friday and I kept watching it in pieces. There are 15 minutes left and I can hardly wait to watch it, but I have to take care of a few things first. A delightful opera and Frederica von Stade's singing is amazing.

Comment

Working...
                      X