X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Programme on symphony- Beethoven in it

8 HOURS LEFT- SO HURRY!!!

Symphony

Simon Russell Beale presents a radical reappraisal of the place of the symphony in the modern world and explores the surprising way in which it has shaped our history and identity.

The first episode begins amidst the turmoil of the French Revolution with the arrival in England of Joseph Haydn, dubbed the 'Father of the Symphony'. It continues with Mozart, the genius who wrote his first symphony at the age of eight, and Beethoven, the revolutionary who created the idea of the artist as hero and whose Eroica Symphony changed music for ever.

The music is performed by the Orchestra of the Age of Enlightenment, conducted by Sir Mark Elder.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...sis-and-genius

I know what I am going to be watching having my brunch in a few minutes...
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

UPDATE!

Some kind Chinese you tuber has downloaded it onto you tube.
    This programme is really good!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VS3MRLCrx8

I'm loving the bit on Haydn!
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

It's not new I'm afraid - this is the third time the BBC have repeated it and to be honest I find Russell Beale rather dry and boring. Some years back the BBC did a really good series - Great composers and they would do better to expand on that as they left quite a few major figures out.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        It's not new I'm afraid - this is the third time the BBC have repeated it and to be honest I find Russell Beale rather dry and boring. Some years back the BBC did a really good series - Great composers and they would do better to expand on that as they left quite a few major figures out.

I haven't got a TV, so until I had internet and iplayer I missed programmes like this- yes knew it was a repeat. I don't find it boring at all- but then you seem to have very different tastes to me.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
          - but then you seem to have very different tastes to me.
          Hmm we're both on a Beethoven forum and I could well live without my tv!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
          X