Toscanini and Gardiner symphonies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Toscanini and Gardiner symphonies?

My music club offers only these two conductors' versions of the complete symphonies. What sort of quality do they possess and which would be a better choice? I've never even heard all of the 2nd, 4th, 7th, and 8th symphonies, so I just want a version that is solid. Nothing far from the norm. Thanks a lot.

You'll no doubt get many different answers to questions like this.

Comment

How about Chamber orchestra of Europe / Harnoncourt ( Teldec 2292-46452-2 )
      or there's always the Hanover Band!

------------------
      'Man know thyself'
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by bjorkster:
        My music club offers only these two conductors' versions of the complete symphonies. What sort of quality do they possess and which would be a better choice? I've never even heard all of the 2nd, 4th, 7th, and 8th symphonies, so I just want a version that is solid. Nothing far from the norm. Thanks a lot.
        Haven't heard T's but I have G's and don't play them! If you were in London I would give you my Gardiner set gratis! Get the Hanover Band set. As Peter mentions, Harnoncourt is not a bad choice either as an alternative but costs considerably more than the HB set, which also includes good versions of the Missa and most of the overtures.

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by bjorkster:
          Forgive me, but aren't these two miles and miles apart? The T should be a very old recording now, though historically significant, whereas the G would be a modern recording on period instruments. So, you should decide based more on these characteristics than on any others, IMO.

FWIW, Rod and others should be happy for me...Amazon advises that my order for the Hanover Band set has just shipped. For $32US plus shipping.

Personally, if I had to choose, I'd rather have a modern set than a Toscanini, unless the modern set is known to be an inappropriate recording. But...I have numerous modern recordings of all the symphonies, yet no historical recordings ala Toscanini, and also no period instrumet recordings until my Hanover Band arrives. So take that under advisement.

Comment

Working...
          X