New biography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by grace65 View Post
    I just wanted to quickly say that John Suchet was the one who reintroduced me to Beethoven. I bought The last Master Vol 1 at a second hand shop. John Suchet clearly states that the book is a fictional biography of Beethoven and so that's how I read it. The only criticism I have to make on the trilogy was that there was too much wine drinking. Anyway, apart from that I enjoyed it so much that I had to buy the next two volumes on the internet. John Suchet got me wanting to know and learn more about Beethoven, that's when I started reading books from Wegeler, Ries, Gerhard Von Breunning, Thayer etc. (I also have Beethoven, the man revealed). I admire John Suchet's passion and enthusiasm and really believe that he writes about Beethoven, not so much for the money but because he wants Beethoven's music and name to live on for future generations.
    Agreed, Grace! John Suchet has an absolutely genuine love of Beethoven's music. He describes himself as a "failed musician" but he does, in fact, play the trombone. As a journalist, he found himself in some very dangerous situations during his life but he always carried a recording of the "Eroica" symphony on his Walkman and it got him through some tough times.
    It was his semi-fictional biography of B which got my own son interested in the music, so I have a lot of time for John Suchet.

Comment

Originally posted by Decrepit Poster View Post
      I bought and read Suchet's 'Beethoven: The Man Revealed' only last month. Like Michael I rather enjoyed it. I find absolutely nothing overly objectionable in his presentation. Yes, he occasionally puts forth scenarios based on supposition. But in those cases he comes right out and lets us know he's doing so, and that we should treat such passages accordingly.

Whew! I was beginning to think I was the only John Suchet fan on this forum!
      As you rightly say, he does make it clear that he is writing speculative fiction.

Going off-topic for a moment, John is currently a presenter on Classic FM but I don't think he is given much of a chance to play music outside the "popular playlist". In that radio station's annual "Top 300", not once has a string quartet by Beethoven appeared. The same old pieces appear in the Top 20 for the past 15 years, more or less!

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        If I may interject here, and say that I have never understood why books about Beethoven always seem to include reams and reams of who B's Immortal Beloved was, it's a turn off for me.

Yes, yes, yes! I also couldn't give two hoots about the Immortal Beloved.
        (Can we be expelled for this, Megan?)

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Yes, yes, yes! I also couldn't give two hoots about the Immortal Beloved.
          (Can we be expelled for this, Megan?)

Expelled!!??? No,no, this is our home!

‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
            I know what you mean Megan- tends to bring the weirdos out; seen on some other forums odd ball attention seekers posting about "twin flames", remote viewing and being the IB. It is quite obvious Josephine Deym was the IB, no more need to make up silly theories. His music and spirituality are far more interesting.

Have you seen Beethoven Lives Upstairs? it's a "children's film", but by no means of a child's level. The best and most accurate portrayal of all the films made, despite the family Beethoven lodges with are fictional. Beethoven throws a lot of things at the housekeeper lol! They have lots of "fights", but she likes him really. She calls him names yet goes to great trouble to wash and whiten his shirt for a concert! I think the inspiration for the boy Christoph might be Gerhard von Breuning. The boy actor is very cute. Neil Monroe played Beethoven.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6skXE1qYxg8

Thanks for prompting me to watch Beethoven Lives Upstairs, AeolianHarp. I have never seen it before, its very poignant.
            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
              Thanks for prompting me to watch Beethoven Lives Upstairs, AeolianHarp. I have never seen it before, its very poignant.
              I had a hunch you'd like it Megan. I had already seen it but watched it again recently- I have downloaded it.

I think Neil Monroe did the best portrayal of Beethoven there is. Not only does he look like him, but the character is pretty accurate.

I still have the old Austrian film about him to finish watching (it is in German though).I have downloaded that too.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
              Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                I had a hunch you'd like it Megan. I had already seen it but watched it again recently- I have downloaded it.

I think Neil Monroe did the best portrayal of Beethoven there is. Not only does he look like him, but the character is pretty accurate.

I still have the old Austrian film about him to finish watching (it is in German though).I have downloaded that too.
                AeolianHarp, the old Austrian film is that Eroica? I was watching it the other day on you tube, but only managed to watch half an hour of it because I didn't understand a word. It's such a shame it looks like a very interesting film. Too bad it doesn't have subtitles.

Comment

Originally posted by grace65 View Post
                  AeolianHarp, the old Austrian film is that Eroica? I was watching it the other day on you tube, but only managed to watch half an hour of it because I didn't understand a word. It's such a shame it looks like a very interesting film. Too bad it doesn't have subtitles.
                  Yes that one! You might not understand what is being said- but it is obvious who Beethoven is when he walks in the scene for the first time lol.

A good reason to learn German!
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                  Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
                  X