Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What Beethoven concerts are you going to..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It does not always have to be Beethovn

Good on you, Aeolian.

I was in London end of October and attended both the Bruckner and Mahler.

http://www.musicomh.com/classical/re...an-hall-london

The Mahler ending was sublime, with the strings really whispering so succinctly that one could hear the bows vibrate the strings. It reminded me of the Abbado recording on YouTube.... just watch the last 5 minutes, if you can't listen to it all....
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ALaAuK_FOo

How sad this man no longer is with us and that I never got to see him live. I should have seen him, but the concert I had planned was cancelled... he was never to conduct again.

Albert

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
      Good on you, Aeolian.

I was in London end of October and attended both the Bruckner and Mahler.

http://www.musicomh.com/classical/re...an-hall-london

The Mahler ending was sublime, with the strings really whispering so succinctly that one could hear the bows vibrate the strings. It reminded me of the Abbado recording on YouTube.... just watch the last 5 minutes, if you can't listen to it all....
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9ALaAuK_FOo

How sad this man no longer is with us and that I never got to see him live. I should have seen him, but the concert I had planned was cancelled... he was never to conduct again.

Albert

How was the Bruckner? Recently I watched Abbado conducting on a Youtube video, but do not recall what the work was. It might have been Bruckner's 7th, but I do not recall. What I do recall was that I was wanting more when the performance ended.

Comment

Dear Sorano,

The Bruckner 8, too, was excellent. One of the main problems with a lot of Bruckner is that there are often crescendos in the crescendos, if you know what I mean. Producing a theme, build it up to a high point, then taking it again from scratch (with some variation) and getting it back to that high point, only even louder, and so on....
        It requires mastery and skill, and utter control, to make sure the orchestra delivers this well. Haitink proved that old age does not mean that he is no longer capable of delivering this. On the contrary, and I guess that is in his demeanour: he doesn't show his emotions very clearly and always seems to be 'in control'. That is exactly how he managed this symphony that evening. It was amazing to see this.
        I was extremely lucky to go to two concerts of such exceptional quality within four days.
        Albert

Comment

Oh yes, and last but not least, of course. The orchestra, which to my mind is the best I know (not to diminish some others), is of such exceptional standing, that a good conductor can get them to play just about anything s/he wants and how they want it.
          With the Bruckner, it was the never ending increase in the fortissimos, and with the Mahler, the whisper of the strings at the end of the symphony.
          Music can do so much for the soul....

Comment

I saw the Ninth tonight!

Just come back from attending the concert of the Ninth!!

It is great to hear live- the first movement is LOUD! It is is the loudest I have heard I think- louder than music I have heard with a bigger orchestra! Not sure how Beethoven does that!

And the first performance was Mendelssohn's Die erste Walpurgisnacht.
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

His Violin Concerto!

I'm off to see his Violin Concerto in a few minutes!!
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I've been to see the 7th this afternoon!
                It was a very energetic, spirited performance.
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Tonight's concert- not Beethoven but Mozart

Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Orchestra
                  A Little Night Music

Mozart Eine Kleine Nachtsmusik
                  Mozart Piano Concerto No.12 in A Major, K.414
                  Schumann Piano Concerto
                  Mendelssohn String Symphony No.2 in D

http://www.liverpoolphil.com/16141/e...ght-music.html
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

The Schumann performance was one of the most magical I've ever seen!!!!! The pianist is an extraordinary talented man- he was poetry to the eyes and ears. He conducted from the piano and the relationship between him and the orchestra....I've never seen anything quite like it- very special indeed.
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Rocco and I will be attending:
                      Chicago Symphony Orchestra
                      Riccardo Muti, music director and conductor
                      Thursday, October 29, 2015, 7:30 pm
                      Hill Auditorium, Ann Arbor, Michigan
                      Beethoven Symphony No. 5 in c minor, Op. 67
                      Mahler Symphony No. 1 (“Titan”)
                      Link

I am not a Mahler fan but listened to Mahler #1 today and it is pretty good, a bit long, but gets better the farther you get into it. Beethoven #5 is right up at the top of my list!
                      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

The 5th yay! You will have great time.
                        I have some Beethoven concerts coming up myself. I shall post the details later.
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

There are more in Ann Arbor, including Piano Concerto 1, Symphony 7, the last three piano sonatas, ... But I really want to hear the Fifth live.
                          "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                          --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Don't miss Beethoven's Fifth Symphony if you have a chance to see/hear it. It's wonderful live and very exciting!
                            'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy View Post
                              Don't miss Beethoven's Fifth Symphony if you have a chance to see/hear it. It's wonderful live and very exciting!
                              I shall when it is on!

Tonight I saw The Tempest and the C sharp minor fantasia sonatas played.
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Phoenix Symphony is opening their season once again with Beethoven's 9th Symphony. Can't miss that! It's so wonderful and breath taking in person!
                                'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
                                X