Beethoven's 5th!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's 5th!

Has anyone heard the recording of Beethoven's 5th Symphony and the 7th recorded on the Deutsche Grammophon label with Carlos Kleiber leading the Vienna Philharmonic? (1975 recording). On a local classical radio program they had quite a discussion about this recording being widely regarded as the best recording of Beethoven's 5th. Just wondered what you all thought.

Joy
    'Truth and beauty joined'

Originally posted by Joy:
    Has anyone heard the recording of Beethoven's 5th Symphony and the 7th recorded on the Deutsche Grammophon label with Carlos Kleiber leading the Vienna Philharmonic? (1975 recording). On a local classical radio program they had quite a discussion about this recording being widely regarded as the best recording of Beethoven's 5th. Just wondered what you all thought.

Joy
    I've heard this CD, just another run-of-the-mill recording as far as I am concerned. I've heard worse but I don't see what all the fuss is about with these performances. Can someone enlighten me? Get the Hanover Band set while you still can as Nimbus have gone bust.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 01-13-2002).]
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

Joy
      I have that on one of the track off of the beethoven collection Cd sampler Track #1....fortanily I'll make sure that's him or not.

------------------
      freedom for all- Ludwig Van Beethoven

[This message has been edited by Chris (edited 01-15-2002).]

Comment

I've got the Leiber 5th on LP. I think it's the best performance I've yet heard. His tempi and dynamics are wonderful. Ah.... those french horns. I own both Karajan versions,Toscanni,Furtwangler,Szell and prefer Kleiber

I've not heard his 7th.

Steve
        www.mozartforum.com

Comment

I think Kleiber's recording of the 5th is one of the best I've heard also. I agree with his tempi being wonderful and he really brings the horns in tremendously. I have not heard Kleiber's 7th as yet but they are on the same CD which I expect to get soon.
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Working...
          X