Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Was Ravel able to play his own piano music?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Was Ravel able to play his own piano music?

I make this question because, having seen some of the scores --not really necessary, the hearing only suffices, the writing is of such a complexity that I seriously doubt he really could play them with proficiency. But perhaps I am wrong and he was an accomplished pianist. Did he at any time played one of his piano compositions in public.
    Last edited by Enrique; 05-17-2014, 10:35 AM.

He was capable, but not of the first order - Debussy however was a very fine pianist.
    Of Ravel's piano music, I've only played the Sonatine and 'Alborada del gracioso'.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Alborada del gracioso is a fairly complex piece of music, I mean to play it! I am no pianist, but the quantity of repeated notes, I mean fa, fa, fa, fa, fa, fa for instance, is very large. I do not think are easy to play. Do you play it at normal velocity?

Comment

I read on programme notes when I attended a concert of one of Ravel's works that he couldn't play what he wrote!
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
          Alborada del gracioso is a fairly complex piece of music, I mean to play it! I am no pianist, but the quantity of repeated notes, I mean fa, fa, fa, fa, fa, fa for instance, is very large. I do not think are easy to play. Do you play it at normal velocity?
          It is very difficult, aside from the rapid repeated notes, there are also glissandi in 3rds, I haven't played it for some years!
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
          X