Vienna Tourism

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Vienna Tourism

My much better half & I are tentatively planning on a holiday in Vienna, South Moravia, and perhaps Belgium in late March/early April. This would be our first visit to Vienna.

Of course, there are many well-documented LvB sights to see in and around Vienna. I will include these as warranted in our agenda. But what about less well known Vienna LvB sights? Does anyone here have recommendations for such sights?

I've read a bit about how Hotel Beethoven, across from Theater an der Wien is actually on the site of a temporary LvB residence. Truth? It looks like it would be a very TOURISTY hotel...perhaps not where we would want to stay, being owned by Best Western. We enjoy BW hotels here on the west coast USA as predictable, reliable, and affordable...but...in Vienna???
    http://www.anto.com/viennahotels.html

Thanks for any help!

ObLvB: Is it not amazing: How the vast bulk of LvB's work is simply PERFECT?

All I can suggest is you look at the addresses page and the who's who 2 page on this site (which lists many of the restaurants and taverns frequented by Beethoven). Unfortunately few of the places Beethoven lived in are the original buildings.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Lucky you!! Let us know how it all works out!
      As for places to see, I once watched a travel log on Vienna and the host had a brochure on Beethoven sights to see. They were all numbered and he just went from place to place. You might try a Vienna travel site (as I'm sure you already have) and try requesting one of these brochures.
      Good luck!
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        Lucky you!! Let us know how it all works out!
        Thanks. We've now firmed up our travel plans: 7 nights in Munich, 6 in Vienna.

I've also found something which may not be news here, but was informative to me: http://www.literarytraveler.com/beethoven/beethoven.htm

Quite a bit about several Vienna locations which I'll be using in addition to what Peter suggested as well. And yes, I've since found some webbies about Vienna guided walks, specifically composer's homes. Might sign up for one of those.

Comment

Is there a Beethoven tour book ? I would think if one has not been written it would be a worthwhile project. There is a wonderful book on Mozart "In Mozarts Footsteps" it chronicles all known details of his trips, including where he stayed, where he ate, which Cathedral organs he played, where he performed, including current address where buildings still exist. As a Beethoven fan I would love such a book when planning a trip through central Europe.

Regards

Steve
          www.mozartforum.com

Comment

Originally posted by SR:
            Is there a Beethoven tour book ? I would think if one has not been written it would be a worthwhile project....As a Beethoven fan I would love such a book when planning a trip through central Europe.
            Me too.

I will definitely write up something after our trip, with photos as warranted. And I have agreement from Herself that our Vienna trip will be very Beethoven-centric.

I can't wait.

Comment

Originally posted by SR:
              There is a wonderful book on Mozart "In Mozarts Footsteps"
              I'd be interested in getting hold of that book - any more details?

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Look http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...381340-9139021here</a>, Peter.

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
                  Look here.
                  Thanks! - My intended visit to Vienna had to be postponed, but I might as well do a combined Mozart and Beethoven tour when I eventually get there!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hi Peter...

I see Chris beat me to it with the book info.I had no idea it was still available from Amazon. I bought mine on eBay. Another great source for books if you are not aware is ABEbooks.com. It is an internet clearing house for smaller booksellers worldwide.

Looks to me like an assignment for a music lover and writer to create a Beethoven version. I wish I had time and wasn't so far away.

BTW being a Mozart fan you should stop by and visit www.openmozart.net The site is not as nice as yours, but the discussion group is quite knowledgable.

Steve

www.mozartforum.com

Comment

Working...
                    X