Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Did Beethoven re-visit Fur Elise in 1822 ??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Did Beethoven re-visit Fur Elise in 1822 ??

This is what I've just heard -- Beethoven re-visited Fur Elise in 1822.

The original manuscript of Fur Elise found in Therese Malfatti's effects by Ludwig Nohl was the only copy. Is it true? If there was only one copy of the work that was kept by Malfatti since 1810, how could Beethoven re-visit and revise it in 1822?

Yes it's true - read more here:
    http://unheardbeethoven.org/search.php?Identifier=woo59
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Peter,

Nice to see you back

How do we know it's true? Where is the evidence? Was there a second copy used by Beethoven in 1822? If so, then who found the second copy?

Comment

Sorry I meant it was true that Beethoven revised the work in 1822. Beethoven must have had another copy which is now lost as is the original autograph seen by Nohl.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Sounds quite different in parts and as the article notes, incomplete.I am assuming Beethoven didn't finish his revision of it?
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

My question remains: Where and when was the Beethoven's copy found by whom?

Comment

Any copy that Beethoven had is now lost as is the autograph score seen by Nohl.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Before Beethoven's copy got lost, who saw it? Who revealed the info that Beethoven had a copy and revised it in 1822?

We all know that Malfatti's copy was found by Nohl, although it was lost finally. Who found Beethoven's copy, no matter it lost or not finally.

Comment

Originally posted by thesunlover View Post
                  Before Beethoven's copy got lost, who saw it? Who revealed the info that Beethoven had a copy and revised it in 1822?

We all know that Malfatti's copy was found by Nohl, although it was lost finally. Who found Beethoven's copy, no matter it lost or not finally.
                  I think the revision is incomplete and in sketch form and this dates from 1822. Beethoven returned in this year to several earlier piano pieces and revised them with a view to publication. As to Beethoven's copy, who knows?
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

Without convincing evidences, I have to think this is a fake story like many other "Beethoven stories".

Comment

Originally posted by thesunlover View Post
                      Without convincing evidences, I have to think this is a fake story like many other "Beethoven stories".
                      There is evidence of 3 separate working phases (based on writing implements, corrections, revisions) which span the years 1810 and 1822.
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                      X