Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thursday Classical Music OPUS 64: Beethoven's Ninth Symphony (part 2)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thursday Classical Music OPUS 64: Beethoven's Ninth Symphony (part 2)

Interesting article:

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2012/0...ymphony-part-2
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Thanks for posting. I read a bit (will have to finish later as is long and my lunch break short) and it is fascinating. I love a non-conformist. Beethoven is a fascinating personality. It could not have been otherwise. The personality and the music are too intertwined. If he were "normal" (by the way, who wants to be normal? how drab!) the music would not have been as great. It takes a very special person to be able to thumb their nose at royalty and get away with it.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

I love a non-conformist.
      Me too- a sign of intelligence if you ask me!!!

Beethoven is a fascinating personality. It could not have been otherwise. The personality and the music are too intertwined.

Yes, totally fascinating and magnetic! Shows in his music as you say.

If he were "normal" (by the way, who wants to be normal? how drab!) the music would not have been as great.
      No it wouldn't, true. He wasn't normal in the sense of being a run of the mill man, but far from being crazy either- he was unique, eccentric ( in a good way) and very individualistic. Also, honest- true to himself. I admire that.

It takes a very special person to be able to thumb their nose at royalty and get away with it.
      It did back then. Some people of his era in London got put in jail for speaking out against royalty and doing public talks. It has changed to some degree today- someone could make a funny face at the Queen today and it wouldn't land you in jail, nor would writing articles- the Daily Mail is full of negative comments about the Royals, but public rallies and marches against the government's policies are less tolerated- some people get arrested for that.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
      X