No announcement yet.

New Beethoven Monument

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mention of Queen Victoria reminds me of an amusing incident (or accident) that occurred when she attended the unveiling of the original Bonn monument in 1845 or so.
    The Queen and her attendants were facing down the Munsterplatz with their backs to what is now the Bonn Post Office. When the statue was unveiled, they were treated to a lovely view of Ludwig's behind.
    Everybody had either not known or completely forgotten which way Beethoven was facing!
    Well, rather Ludwig's behind than some poncy nobleman's!

I have heard of this before- made me laugh out loud when I first read it, still makes me chuckle. There are two entries online I found about it; describing Ludwig as "a heathen" and a "rude fellow." LOL.

August Wilhelm von Schlegel was also one of the “fathers” of the Beethoven monument and it was he who made the crucial suggestion to set it up on the Münsterplatz square. The unveiling ceremony and Bonn’s first Beethoven Festival in 1845, organised by Franz Liszt, were “a unique event in the history of music”.

The ceremony was not without its awkward moments. Beethoven monument turned its back on the most important guests, King Frederick William IV of Prussia and the British Queen Victoria, who
    had taken their places on the balcony of the Fürstenberg Palace, now the main post office. Alexander von Humboldt saved the day by remarking that Beethoven had always been a rude fellow.

http://www.bonn-region.de/english/hi...-festival.html

On 12 July 1845 the monument of Beethoven was to be unveiled. Without much warning English queen Victoria who was visiting Germany and Prussian king Frydery the 4th came to the celebration. The dignified guests with the numerous retinue appeared very suddenly and the organizing committee put them on the balcony of the count Fürstenberg palace.
    After listening to the anthem the curtain from the bronze monument fell down, and the Prussian king suddenly started laughing – the Beethoven’s monument turned its back on them.
    Alexande Humboldt, the eminent geographer, the member of the organizing committee quickly saw the mistake being made as a result of a hurry and he told all the guests:
    - Your Royal Highnesses! It is commonly known that Beethoven was a great composer but he was a bit heathen. And even today, after his death we see one more proof that he fully deserved that opinion.

http://www.beethoven.org.pl/en/encyk...thovennawesolo

That's would be Beethoven's gesture to the nobility !
    Yes hehe.

I also found this amusing, though I am not sure I believe he would write in such a way on shutters....

Beethoven wasn’t a convenient tenant. He never wanted to comply with any regulations. He played at night keeping his neighbours awake. That’s why he was often evicted and he had to move out many times.
    There was a funny story connected with on of Beethoven’s flats. That flat was particularly liked by the composer and after moving out he wanted to come back there. Then the landlord agreed to take him back if he bought a new blinds, because the old ones had disappeared. Beethoven agreed.
    The curiosity – what happened with the previous żaluzje made him feel uncomfortable. Finally he came to the truth. It turned out that the landlord sold the blinds to some rich Americans for exuberant price as the autographs of a famous musician; Beethoven had a custom to compose standing by the window and to write down some of his thoughts and musical motives on blinds.
    When he came to the truth he was greatly amused. He decided to continue putting down some of his thoughts at the blinds. But the words which he wrote down there were so dirty, that they could embarrass even those used to such swearing. In that way the new blinds stayed where they were.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

I am with everyone else here that this new Beethoven monument is not very pleasing to the eye. I love the Beethoven statue that is here in Heiligenstadt as well as the one downtown near the Hotel Intercontinental.

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

This is in the park there right? Is the one on the left the one in Heiligenstadt? Amazing statue- he looks magnificent! Even his statues have presence!!
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
          This is in the park there right? Is the one on the left the one in Heiligenstadt? Amazing statue- he looks magnificent! Even his statues have presence!!
          Yes, the one on the left is located at Heiligenstadt Park. This statue used to have a wooden walking stick like in the photo below. I remember this cane when I saw this statue for the first time back in 1990. But some time after that, the cane went walk-about (or probably stolen).

"God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Stealing his cane? For shame!!!
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

A hopeful thought has just struck me!
              Maybe the new Bonn monument is an April Fool and they got it one day wrong!

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                A hopeful thought has just struck me!
                Maybe the new Bonn monument is an April Fool and they got it one day wrong!
                I hope so, but doubt it somehow...

Thoigh I had a fool on me of sorts today- I had ordered a CD of Symphony no 6 on eBay and recieved a CD of German operas instead!
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Here's another look at the monstrosity. Scroll down for a larger picture:

http://www.classicfm.com/composers/b...markus-luperz/

Comment

Good God it is revolting!
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Thought I'd post the hideous creation here. What's that satanic thing behind Beethoven? I just can't understand why it is so gross and look at the people in the background they seem enthusiastic and applauding it.
                      I want to trash it and daub it with graffiti !

Last edited by Megan; 04-03-2014, 06:25 PM.
                      🎹

Comment

LOL Megan- it looks nothing like our dear Maestro-I expect they have plenty of pigeons in Bonn who will do their own graffiti on it...
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                          LOL Megan- it looks nothing like our dear Maestro-I expect they have plenty of pigeons in Bonn who will do their own graffiti on it...
                          The sclulptor must have been on LSD when he did it.
                          🎹

Comment

My relationship towards contemporary art has always been a bit troublesome and this new Beethoven monument seems to be again one of those pieces where yes, I get the idea the artist is trying to tell us but the way he is presenting it is contradictory to my aesthetic views. So one man is able to rise above his fate- I think that is what this work is trying to show- and the rugged style could be thought to symbolize persistence and fierce attitude, even echo the nature of the Drachenfels, that are located near Bonn as well like the statue. Still, it's not refined enough for me to enjoy it. It's TOO rebellious - or, rebellious in a "wrong" way for my taste.

On the Beethovenfrieze though I must comment that rare pieces of art have made such an impact as seeing it live did on me. I could write an essay of what went through my head in that room. To me it's genius, and I hold Klimt in great honour.
                            Fühle was dies' Herz empfindent, reiche frei mir deine Hand, und das Band das uns verbindet, sei kein schwaches Rosenband! (J.W.von Goethe)

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                              The sclulptor must have been on LSD when he did it.
                              LOL Megan!
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                              X