The miracle of the Ninth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The miracle of the Ninth

I just got sent the following, this to me is amazing, a miracle....

Helen Keller, who was both deaf and blind from an illness as a baby, wrote the following letter to the New York Symphony Orchestra in March 1924. Here's how she describes listening to Beethoven's "Ninth Symphony" over the radio:

“Dear Friends:

I have the joy of being able to tell you that, though deaf and blind, I spent a glorious hour last night listening over the radio to Beethoven’s “Ninth Symphony.” I do not mean to say that I “heard” the music in the sense that other people heard it; and I do not know whether I can make you understand how it was possible for me to derive pleasure from the symphony. It was a great surprise to myself. I had been reading in my magazine for the blind of the happiness that the radio was bringing to the sightless everywhere. I was delighted to know that the blind had gained a new source of enjoyment; but I did not dream that I could have any part in their joy. Last night, when the family was listening to your wonderful rendering of the immortal symphony someone suggested that I put my hand on the receiver and see if I could get any of the vibrations. He unscrewed the cap, and I lightly touched the sensitive diaphragm. What was my amazement to discover that I could feel, not only the vibration, but also the impassioned rhythm, the throb and the urge of the music! The intertwined and intermingling vibrations from different instruments enchanted me. I could actually distinguish the cornets, the roil of the drums, deep-toned violas and violins singing in exquisite unison. How the lovely speech of the violins flowed and plowed over the deepest tones of the other instruments! When the human voices leaped up thrilling from the surge of harmony, I recognized them instantly as voices more ecstatic, upcurving swift and flame-like, until my heart almost stood still. The women’s voices seemed an embodiment of all the angelic voices rushing in a harmonious flood of beautiful and inspiring sound. The great chorus throbbed against my fingers with poignant pause and flow. Then all the instruments and voices together burst forth – an ocean of heavenly vibration – and died away like winds when the atom is spent, ending in a delicate shower of sweet notes.

Of course this was not “hearing,” but I do know that the tones and harmonies conveyed to me moods of great beauty and majesty. I also sense, or thought I did, the tender sounds of nature that sing into my hand-swaying reeds and winds and the murmur of streams. I have never been so enraptured before by a multitude of tone-vibrations.

As I listened, with darkness and melody, shadow and sound filling all the room, I could not help remembering that the great composer who poured forth such a flood of sweetness into the world was deaf like myself. I marveled at the power of his quenchless spirit by which out of his pain he wrought such joy for others – and there I sat, feeling with my hand the magnificent symphony which broke like a sea upon the silent shores of his soul and mine.”
    The Auricle, Vol. II, No. 6, March 1924. American Foundation for the Blind, Helen Keller Archives.

Here is Helen:

http://nyphil.tumblr.com/

I am so so moved....how could she describe it like that without hearing it?! She describes it better than I could do who can hear it and listens to it a lot...how can it be...
    Last edited by AeolianHarp; 03-25-2014, 09:06 PM.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Wonderful! I have heard that those who are without one of the senses, particularly that of sight, have much better development in the other senses, perhaps from having to rely on them more.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Helen certainly had- she was a remarkable woman.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Truly beautiful - thank you for sharing that.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
          I am so so moved....how could she describe it like that without hearing it?! She describes it better than I could do who can hear it and listens to it a lot...how can it be...
          That was my reaction too. What a remarkable lady.
          "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

An amazing story!

Back in the 60's (before I discovered Beethoven) I shared lodgings with a man who had lost his hearing as a very young child. He was actually stone deaf.
            I had an old Dansette record player and whenever I played anything (mostly the Beatles) he would place his hand on the cover of the machine and "listen" and would frequently ask me to "play another one, please".

He could speak clearly and could lip-read so it was quite easy to communicate with him but he was unaware of how loud he could be, and a rather amusing incident occurred one night when I had to ask him to "keep it down" as I had to get up early for work the following morning.
            He grew a bit irate and said: "I don't complain when you play your records!"

Last edited by Michael; 03-26-2014, 12:51 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              Truly beautiful - thank you for sharing that.
              You are welcome.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Symphony7 View Post
                That was my reaction too. What a remarkable lady.
                She was indeed- somehow the Ninth entered her soul...
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

An amazing story!

Back in the 60's (before I discovered Beethoven) I shared lodgings with a man who had lost his hearing as a very young child. He was actually stone deaf.
                  I had an old Dansette record player and whenever I played anything (mostly the Beatles) he would place his hand on the cover of the machine and "listen" and would frequently ask me to "play another one, please".
                  A Dansette! Now that is vintage! That's cool- did he describe the music he felt at all?

He could speak clearly and could lip-read so it was quite easy to communicate with him but he was unaware of how loud he could be, and a rather amusing incident occurred one night when I had to ask him to "keep it down" as I had to get up early for work the following morning.
                  He grew a bit irate and said: "I don't complain when you play your records!"
                  Awwww bless him!
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I hope Helen Keller went on to experience all nine Beethoven symphonies. They are all wonderful!
                    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                      I hope Helen Keller went on to experience all nine Beethoven symphonies. They are all wonderful!
                      I hope so too.
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I don't have the device to play this, but four Beethoven Ninths including Fricsay is a pretty nice package. Click on watch the trailer.
                        Last edited by Harvey; 04-18-2014, 09:40 PM.

Comment

Here is an interesting article on the Ninth.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                            Here is an interesting article on the Ninth.
                            I particuarly like the last paragraph:

The Ninth, forming and dissolving before our ears in its beauty and terror and simplicity and complexity, ending with a cry of jubilation, is itself his kiss for all the world, from east to west, high to low, naive to sophisticated. When the bass speaks the first words in the finale, an invitation to sing for joy, the words come from Beethoven, not Schiller. It's the composer talking to everybody, to history. That's what's so moving about those words. There Beethoven greets us person to person, with glass raised, and hails us as friends.
                            I feel that about it too.
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                            X