Fidelio: What is your favorite DVD?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fidelio: What is your favorite DVD?

I am 100% sold on the 1978 Bernstein Fidelio DVD. It is absolutely wonderful and the singers are well matched to their parts. The most outstanding is Gundula Janowitz whose acting and singing are marvelous! Hans Sotin makes a great Pizarro, his face contorting as he sings of his planned revenge. Manfred Jungwirth makes an excellent Rocco. Rene Kollo has a wonderful voice. Lucia Popp sings beautifully too and plays Marzilina quite nicely. Adolf Dallapozza does a find job of playing Jacquino and sings quite well too.

The whole production is as near perfect as it gets (if only I could cut the Leonora overture out from the video), set in the appropriate time frame, realistic scenery, and modestly dressed actors. A very wholesome production for a wonderful opera, an opera that even people who don't like opera can love.

Here is a you tube of the finale.

What is your favorite?
    Last edited by Harvey; 03-19-2014, 07:27 PM.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Same as above! haha
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Most of my music films are VHS unfortunately and I haven't replaced them with dvd - you know it was bad enought replacing LP with cassette and then CD! My version is Covent garden Royal opera House orchestra / Dohnanyi/ Josef Protschka, Gabriella Benackova.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Most of my music films are VHS unfortunately and I haven't replaced them with dvd - you know it was bad enought replacing LP with cassette and then CD! My version is Covent garden Royal opera House orchestra / Dohnanyi/ Josef Protschka, Gabriella Benackova.
        Well, for that one, I am finding at least one 1961 black and white video on You Tube and one 1991 in color.
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
        --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
          Well, for that one, I am finding at least one 1961 black and white video on You Tube and one 1991 in color.
          Mine's the 1991 colour version - excellent production.
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
          X