He didn't compose the Moonlight Sonata?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SR:
    All composers borrow from themselves and from others. They are inspired by a piece and make use of it again. B certainly "borrowed" from the Choral Fantasy when it came to the Ode to Joy. For another example find a recording of Mozarts K222 written 30 years before with the same theme clear as a bell.
    Well, B borrowed the Fantasy theme from an earlier still Beethoven work! - a simple song called Gegenliebe. Since the theme permeates throughout both compositions I would be surprised if B copied it from Mozart's work - I know not what K222 is, but at a guess I too would be surprised if B had even heard it, and why would he even bother to borrow this Mozart theme for a relatively insignificant composition of his (B's) own?

Originally posted by SR:

Accidents happen also, try Mozarts Bastiene und Bastienne, a very early opera. You will find the oping chords to the 3rd symphony written about 35 years before "Eroica".
    I suggest the same is the case with B's Fantasy, but maybe not so with the slow opening of op70/2 which sounds to me too much like the Grave from Handel's op6 concero in C minor, but here too maybe not!

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
    X