Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Oh that's a point about the bidding yes. You were lucky with those bids! Noone bid for my postcards or Ninth CD, so I got those too, but I have lost on some bids in the past too.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

I would think the postcards would more likely be on Ebay than Amazon anyway. Ebay tends to have some of the more obscure stuff it seems.

I once raised a bid to somthing like $6.50 in the last couple minutes and was in a hurry so I accidently left off the decimal and bid $650! I was sweating for about two minutes and ended up with a CD for just under $17 plus shipping. It could have been pretty ugly though.
      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

I would think the postcards would more likely be on Ebay than Amazon anyway. Ebay tends to have some of the more obscure stuff it seems.
        Yes, Amazon doesn't tend to have vintage items like Ebay does. The postcards are probably from the 1920s.

I once raised a bid to somthing like $6.50 in the last couple minutes and was in a hurry so I accidently left off the decimal and bid $650! I was sweating for about two minutes and ended up with a CD for just under $17 plus shipping. It could have been pretty ugly though.
        That's scary!
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Dave Brubeck: Take Five.
          Beethoven: Symphony no. 7.

Comment

There are also zShops on Amazon that occasionally have some rarer and out of print materials, though they tend to be a bit pricey. Shipping is free for most items (not for the zShops) if you have a Prime Subscription.

Comment

Nei giorni tuoi felici ricordati di me` for soprano, tenor and orchestra E-dur WoO 93

http://classical-music-online.net/en/production/6093

I just love this so much, just bought the mp3 from Amazon.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

All this recent talk of complete Beethoven editions has reminded me that I purchased something the "Ludwig van Beethoven: Premium Edition" some time ago and never listened to it. It seems to be 40 discs pulled from the Cascade Complete Beethoven Edition. It was only about $20, and it had the disc with the Erlkonig song and a few other short WoO pieces that I did not have anywhere else, so it seemed worth it. I figure I'll listen to a couple of discs every day and maybe there will be some hidden gen recordings.

Today:

Symphonies Nos. 1, 6, 2, 4

Nothing too impressive so far. The performances are OK at best, and the recorded sound isn't that great. Not terrible, though. And for some reason the last three movements of Symphony No. 6 are all on the same track, which is not very convenient. Still, for the price, who can argue?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
                  ... And for some reason the last three movements of Symphony No. 6 are all on the same track, which is not very convenient. Still, for the price, who can argue?
                  Yeah, I have a budget Bruno Walter 9 symphonies set and the sixth is in 3 tracks with the last three movements in one.

Ah, but my Gunter Wand set has all five tracks though the transition from track 3 to track 4 was mid note and I had to edit the wma files.

Heard the violoncello and piano work Op. 102 today on Beethoven Only radio and that will be my next rip from the set,

So my wife wanted to go the the library and while I was there I could not help myself from taking out two Beethoven 6th symphony recordings (even though I have several at home): Otto Klemperer and Paavo Jarvi. These to play in the car! Can hardly wait for morning! The Sixth is my latest joy! What a beautiful symphony!
                  Last edited by Harvey; 03-25-2014, 12:59 AM.
                  "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                  --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

This morning:
                    Beethoven: Song, "Sehnsucht," Op 83/2
                    Boccherini:
                    Cello Concerto in C, G 477
                    Four Original Versions of "Ritirata Notturna di Madrid"

Comment

Symphonies 5 and 8 from the CD that arrived at midday from eBay. They are played by the South German Philharmonic Orchestra.
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Continuing with the Cascade Beethoven Premium Edition today:

Symphonies Nos. 3, 8, 5, 7

The Symphony No. 3 seems to be a cut above the other symphony recordings I've heard in this set so far.

Comment

I'm enjoying this week's Composer of the Week on Radio 3 at the moment. It's Michael Nyman (again).
                          "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Symphony7 View Post
                            I'm enjoying this week's Composer of the Week on Radio 3 at the moment. It's Michael Nyman (again).
                            I like some of his.

Now listening to:

Violin sonata no 10 in G major by dear Beethoven (of course).

Earlier, I listened to my CD of Mozart's string quartets.
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Duruflé
                              Requiem, Op.9
                              Jennifer Larmore (mezzo-soprano)
                              Thomas Hampson (baritone)
                              Ambrosian Singers
                              Philharmonia Orchestra
                              Michel Legrand (conductor)
                              🎹