This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Xp7S5gkUlC0[/YOUTUBE]

I thought I knew Beethoven's first piano concerto. After listening to this, I know I was wrong.
    Last edited by Enrique; 04-14-2014, 04:44 PM.

Comment

Beethoven Cascade:

Variations Op. 34
      Dances WoO 14
      Bagatelles Op. 33
      Variations Op. 35 (Eroica)
      Piano Trio Op. 70 No. 1 (Ghost)
      Duo WoO 27 No. 1

Not bad, except for the Eroica Variations, which was ruined by the same thing that plagued some of the piano sonata recordings - there were one or two keys in the upper range of the piano that were noticeably out of tune, and unfortunately they were ones that called for repeated banging in this piece!

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
        Those really are unlike anything else he wrote for the piano. So songful. I read a quote that said if his Diabelli Variations was his art of the piano, the last bagatelles were his farewell to the piano, which I find rather fitting.
        They are briliant and now I am listening to his first set ( on his radio)- the Seven Bagatelles from 1802. The first one-Andante grazioso, quasi allegretto in E-flat major is so delightful; the melody is beautiful.

I do have a love of Bagatelles!
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
          Beethoven Cascade:

Variations Op. 34
          Dances WoO 14
          Bagatelles Op. 33
          Variations Op. 35 (Eroica)
          Piano Trio Op. 70 No. 1 (Ghost)
          Duo WoO 27 No. 1

Not bad, except for the Eroica Variations, which was ruined by the same thing that plagued some of the piano sonata recordings - there were one or two keys in the upper range of the piano that were noticeably out of tune, and unfortunately they were ones that called for repeated banging in this piece!
          It is said our Maestro's piano was often out of tune, so this piano must have been trying to be authentic lol...
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Triple Concerto--Op. 56.
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Beethoven 'cello sonata Op.69.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Nearing the end of my Cascade Beethoven journey:

String Quartet Op. 18, No. 3
                String Quartet Op. 18, No. 5
                Piano Quartet WoO 36, No. 3
                Octet Op. 103
                Sextet Op. 71
                Songs of Different Peoples WoO 158a, Nos. 2, 3, 5, 6, 11, 16, 19, 21, 23
                Songs of Different Peoples WoO 158b, Nos. 1-7
                Songs of Different Peoples WoO 158c, Nos. 1-6

All pretty good recordings.

Comment

Purely coincidentally - like Harvey, Rocco, Peter and Aeolian - I have been binging on the Cello Sonatas. I have about four different versions, but my "go to" recordings are the ones with Ashkenazy and Lynn Harrell.
                  Those astounding works provide you with a quick tour through all Beethoven's compositional periods: Early with Opus 5, Mid with Opus 69 and Late with the two of Opus 102.

I am always intrigued by the fact that Beethoven's late period starts with Opus 101. If he had died before Opus 100, he would still be the leader of the pack. But, almost as if he planned it, from Opus 101 onwards he surpassed himself.

Incidentally, Opus 100 is very attractive but more deserving of an WoO.
                  All ye who have your complete sets, check it out. It's a lovely song -one of my absolute favourites - but it's no Opus 131. (Which merely goes to emphasise this composer's range).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=60IZaDVHG3k

(You have to wait about 20 seconds before the song starts.)

Last edited by Michael; 04-15-2014, 09:36 PM.

Comment

Purely coincidentally - like Harvey, Rocco, Peter and Aeolian - I have been binging on the Cello Sonatas.

Not yet Michael! I am binging on Bagetelles played on fortepiano!

Like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v1Wq...ature=youtu.be

I have about four different versions, but my "go to" recordings are the ones with Ashkenazy and Lynn Harrell.
                    Those astounding works provide you with a quick tour through all Beethoven's compositional periods: Early with Opus 5, Mid with Opus 69 and Late with the two of Opus 102.

I am always intrigued by the fact that Beethoven's late period starts with Opus 101. If he had died before Opus 100, he would still be the leader of the pack. But, almost as if he planned it, from Opus 101 onwards he surpassed himself.

I will always be in awe of how he kept surpassing himself- truly he is the greatest composer who ever has been and will be.

All ye who have your complete sets, check it out. It's a lovely song -one of my absolute favourites - but it's no Opus 131. (Which merely goes to emphasise this composer's range).

(You have to wait about 20 seconds before the song starts.)
                    Thanks will listen to that tomorrow!
                    Last edited by AeolianHarp; 04-15-2014, 11:44 PM.
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Very nice piece, Michael.

Now I am listening to Creatures of Promethus. The opening of track 7 seems to have some harp, but I am not sure.
                      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Arghhhh...Creatures of Prometheus...I have been looking for the piano version on you tube- (they play it on his radio- I really like it) and it is not there, nor on Amazon mp3 downloads!
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                          Very nice piece, Michael.

Now I am listening to Creatures of Promethus. The opening of track 7 seems to have some harp, but I am not sure.
                          Yep! A very rare use of the harp in Beethoven. He also used it as an alternative to the piano in one of his early set of variations, and the last time he used this instrument was in a beautiful song from "Leonore Prohaska".

All I can find on YouTube is a horrible MIDI version which might give you some idea of its beauty:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1QTZrQG3TYQ

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                            Arghhhh...Creatures of Prometheus...I have been looking for the piano version on you tube- (they play it on his radio- I really like it) and it is not there, nor on Amazon mp3 downloads!
                            You are really delving deep into the Beethoven canon!
                            You may have to fork out for the piano version of "Prometheus" as I had to do about two years ago. There are only one or two recordings available and the one I bought was by Cyprien Katsaris.

It is one of the few arrangements made by Beethoven himself and it's probably the last Beethoven CD I will buy (mostly because I can't afford any more and my house isn't that big - and my wife will divorce me if I buy any more Beethoven )- and it's the only work that doesn't seem to crop up in the so-called "Complete" editions.)

Comment

You are really delving deep into the Beethoven canon!
                              Yes, I like discovering his lesser known works! It is thanks to his radio station- they play these.

You may have to fork out for the piano version of "Prometheus" as I had to do about two years ago. There are only one or two recordings available and the one I bought was by Cyprien Katsaris.
                              Gosh, it's that hard to get?! The piano version is so good!

It is one of the few arrangements made by Beethoven himself and it's probably the last Beethoven CD I will buy (mostly because I can't afford any more and my house isn't that big -
                              Yeahhhh..my house isn't big either- bet it's smaller than yours! I'm in a 2 up 2 down! And I have quite a few books collected over the years from charity shops and second hand bookshops. Not got that many CDs though- maybe about 30, not counted ( that's my classical) and some world/folky stuff. I have more on mp3 on the HD.

and my wife will divorce me if I buy any more Beethoven )-
                              I dare you to hang his life mask on your wall hehe...does she make a good soup?

and it's the only work that doesn't seem to crop up in the so-called "Complete" editions.
                              That's a bit pants- fancy leaving this great piano version out!
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                                There are only one or two recordings available and the one I bought was by Cyprien Katsaris.
                                And I bought the other one, by Steven Beck! He has made a lot of recordings of rare Beethoven piano works. Check them out on Amazon. Here's his recording of Prometheus:

http://www.amazon.com/Beethoven-Die-.../dp/B00004UE57

No digital version is available, but the disc is not expensive.

Comment

Working...
                                X