This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What are you listening to now?

Tomás Luis de Victoria - Requiem mass and other pieces.
    'Man know thyself'

Brahms - Handel Variations

Comment

Handel's Messiah - Trevor Pinnock
      For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Something in the attic.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Something in the attic.
          A mouse? A ghost playing a weepy violin solo? The wind whistling through the cracks like an aeolian harp?
          "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
          --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
            I see you are in the true path.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
              A mouse? A ghost playing a weepy violin solo? The wind whistling through the cracks like an aeolian harp?
              I'd settle for any of the last two!

Comment

Fidelio conducted by Bernstein 1978, but not the recording, the DVD ripped to tracks and playing on my MP3. I have both. I find the recorded actual opera has more life to it than the audio recording. Watching the DVD I see Gundula Janowitz acting the part of Leonora so beautifully that she looks as though it is really happening to her. She must have immersed herself into the story, just became part of the story.
                "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Quote:
                  Originally Posted by Harvey
                  Michael:

I'd settle for any of the last two!
                  Someone mention me? There is actually a mouse in my house- perhaps one of his friends has decided to say hello to Michael!
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                  Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                    Fidelio conducted by Bernstein 1978, but not the recording, the DVD ripped to tracks and playing on my MP3. I have both. I find the recorded actual opera has more life to it than the audio recording. Watching the DVD I see Gundula Janowitz acting the part of Leonora so beautifully that she looks as though it is really happening to her. She must have immersed herself into the story, just became part of the story.
                    Bernstein's version is also interesting for his linking of the Leonore 3 overture (without a break) with the opening music of Florestan's aria in the dungeon scene. It caused some controversy at the time.

Comment

The soundtrack to Star Wars: A New Hope, John Williams.

Very good, but it's a shame he didn't think of The Imperial March until The Empire Strikes Back!
                      "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
                        Bernstein's version is also interesting for his linking of the Leonore 3 overture (without a break) with the opening music of Florestan's aria in the dungeon scene. It caused some controversy at the time.
                        What I read was that he linked it to the end of Florestan and Leonora's duet, and dropped the opening note to get it to smoothly join the end of the duet. While I appreciate the use of the overture to occupy the audience during the scene change. I routinely delete it from all my music playback and skip over it when watching the video. In fact, I read that Beethoven wanted a short pause, but not more than 7 seconds, between the end of the duet and the finale. To me, the inserted overture horribly disrupts the flow.

Comment

Originally posted by Symphony7 View Post
                          The soundtrack to Star Wars: A New Hope, John Williams.

Very good, but it's a shame he didn't think of The Imperial March until The Empire Strikes Back!
                          It's just as well. It made the sequel even better!

Comment

Clara Schumann: Nocturne in F major, No.2.
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Ehemm ... This is a serious music forum, youngmen!

Ravel: Rapsodie espagnole (that's sheer magic).
                              Tomás Luis de Victoria - Misa de Requiem a seis partes.
                              Shostakovich: Synphony no.1 (Gergiev)
                              Last edited by Enrique; 03-16-2014, 01:00 AM.

Comment

Working...
                              X