Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Beethoven's Ninth (what recordings do you have)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I just ran across a wonderful Ninth on You Tube: Royal Albert Hall, 27 July 2012
    Anna Samuil soprano
    Waltraud Meier mezzo-soprano
    Michael König tenor
    René Pape bass
    National Youth Choir of Great Britain
    West-Eastern Divan Orchestra
    Daniel Barenboim, conductor
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

The one I grew up with and is thus the dearest one to me, is Abbado with Berliner Philharmoniker (English trans.?) it was so cool, because it was the only cd in our house that was golden in colour and that only boosted the magical feeling when it was chosen from all the "ordinary ones" up on the shelf to be put inside the player and the cover has Abbado wearing a black coat and a red scarf (almost similar to what Beethoven wears in the famous Missa Solemnis portrait!) and is gazing humbly up in the sky as to reach the grand maestro...
      Fühle was dies' Herz empfindent, reiche frei mir deine Hand, und das Band das uns verbindet, sei kein schwaches Rosenband! (J.W.von Goethe)

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
        I just ran across a wonderful Ninth on You Tube: Royal Albert Hall, 27 July 2012
        At 56:00, notice the brunette in the middle of the first row break into a smile as the chorus comes in for the first time. I love seeing that. No doubt, through rehearsal and otherwise, that she has heard this piece many times, yet it still excites and remains powerful when sharing it with an audience.

There was a documentary on Beethoven's symphonies with Barenboim and the West-Eastern Divan Orchestra around the time this was aired. Can't find it on Youtube, unfortunately.

Comment

Hal...that is just .....stupendous...the first male singer is incredible! Don't know who he is - but what a voice! I can feel the power and atmosphere that was there.

And it is Daniel conducting! He is fabulous at it!

Hmm that must have been on BBC tv/iplayer- wonder how I didn't notice...

I didn't notice the brunette tho Hal.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
          Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
          X