Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just bought an 87 CD set of Beethoven's complete works!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The 87 CD set came in the mail today....now, the question is how to restrain myself from taking the next 3 weeks just to listen to it all?

Really love it so far. Sound quality is very good.
    For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
      The 87 CD set came in the mail today....now, the question is how to restrain myself from taking the next 3 weeks just to listen to it all?

Glad you like it Rocco. I was given a boxed set of all the 32 piano sonatas last year (played by Daniel Barenboim)- took me a few months to get through them all!
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Skip the folk-songs. The rest is well worth hearing....

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
          Skip the folk-songs. The rest is well worth hearing....
          Do NOT skip the folk-songs!

(Nurse! PDG is out of bed again!).

Comment

Rest assured, I am going to listen to the entire set.
            For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post

Especially the Irish ones..
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Rest assured, I am going to listen to the entire set.
                Absolutely! I heard some of the folk songs sung in English on the Beethoven Only Radio the other day and they are wonderful! Think they were the Irish ones.
                "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                  Absolutely! I heard some of the folk songs sung in English on the Beethoven Only Radio the other day and they are wonderful! Think they were the Irish ones.
                  I like them too. OK I am going to make myself sound silly now...but a few weeks ago when I first heard them on his radio...I noticed I could understand some of the words ( I was surfing at the same time so not listening fully- you know not lying down or something and listening to his music and doing nothing else)...and I thought hmmm is my German improving?! Then one day my friend was here and they were on again and she said, "This is in English!"

So then I looked into the songs online and found out he'd written a whole load of Irish and Scottish songs! I still wonder how he was able to make the music fit the English words so perfectly when he could not speak English ( I think he knew a few words though).
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                    I still wonder how he was able to make the music fit the English words so perfectly when he could not speak English ( I think he knew a few words though).
                    Beethoven did not compose the music to any of these songs! He merely arranged the existing music. And in most cases, he was in complete ignorance of the words, usually being sent only the music, so there was no "fitting" to do!

Comment

Beethoven did not compose the music to any of these songs! He merely arranged the existing music. And in most cases, he was in complete ignorance of the words, usually being sent only the music, so there was no "fitting" to do!
                      Well that is both bothersome and fascinating. So in listening we are not actually listening to pure Beethoven, but certainly his arrangements would be worthy.

Ah, as John Neyman once said, "Life is complicated, but not uninteresting."
                      "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                      --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Yes, I did wonder about that- so he took existing songs and made his own arrangements of them.
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                          Especially the Irish ones..
                          Yes - the ones that mention Killarney ..... oh, gosh! Have I said that already .....

Comment

It's ok Michael, we're on to him.

Last edited by Megan; 03-13-2014, 08:06 PM.
                            ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Yes - the ones that mention Killarney ..... oh, gosh! Have I said that already .....
                              You can say it as many times as you like, Mike, it has a lovely Irish ring to it.
                              ‘Roses do not bloom hurriedly; for beauty, like any masterpiece, takes time to blossom.’

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
                                You can say it as many times as you like, Mike, it has a lovely Irish ring to it.
                                I had a lovely Irish ring too, Megan, but I lost it.

Comment

Working...
                                X