Beethoven's Religious Beliefs from his Letters & Notebooks

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's Religious Beliefs from his Letters & Notebooks

Preface: After writing the poem Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and compiling the Notes to the poem, I wish to document the Beethoven quotes cited. I have consulted books on Beethoven at Los Altos Library and Stanford's Music Library. Below are typed passages on Beethoven's philosophical and religious beliefs from these books for my personal reference. Additional web links are included for those interested in studying more about Beethoven's Fifth Symphony and his work....

Beethoven loved the countryside and was forever inclined to wander alone in places of natural beauty, and to be triggered into a contemplative mood by what he saw. Sometimes he would feel free enough to relate his ideas to a companion, as when he once walked in a partly tamed but romantically beautiful landscape with Johann Stumpff, the man who was destined to brighten the last weeks of Beethoven's life by delivering to him the complete works of Handel. Beethoven sat on a mound and preached a small sermon to his friend, which Stumpff related later in slightly decorative but still recognisably Beethoven language:
    Here, surrounded by the products of Nature, often I sit for hours, while my senses feast upon the spectacle of the conceiving and multiplying children of Nature. Here the majestic sun is not concealed by any dirty roof made by human hands, here the blue sky is my sublime roof. When in the evening I contemplate the sky in wonder and the host of luminus bodies continually revolving within their orbits, suns or earths by name, then my spirit rises beyond thes constellations so many millions of miles away to the primeval source from which all creation flows and from which new creations shall flow eternally... Yes, it must come from above, that which strikes the heart; otherwise it's nothing but notes, body without spirit, isn't that so? (p. 104)

Woods and trees especially provided him with that cosmic echo, at times transporting him into exalted moods of an almost mystical intensity: the trance-like state of mind which he had learned from Frau von Breuning to call 'raptus' or 'rapture'. Thus in the autumn of 1812 he jotted on some music paper:
    Almighty One in the woods I am blessed... Every tree speaks through Thee O God! What glory in the woodland. On the heights is peace, peace to serve Him.

And again in the summer of 1814, relaxing at Baden:
    My miserable hearing does not trouble me here. In the country it seems as if every tree said to me: 'Holy! Holy!— Who can give complete expression to the ecstasy of the woods! O, the sweet stillness of the woods!

http://www.wisdomportal.com/Beethoven-Mind.html
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Beethoven was a deeply religious man who had a real belief in God, but although raised a Catholic he wasn't a devout Church goer. He did however consent to a priest on his death bed. I think Beethoven's relationship to God can best be summed up as that of a child toward his loving father to whom he confides all his joys as well as sorrows. Some of the following quotes reflect this:

"Truly, a hard lot has befallen me! Yet I accept the decree
    of Fate, and continually pray to God to grant that as long as I
    must endure this death in life, I may be preserved from want."

"It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that
    made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the
    constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

"God, who knows my innermost soul, and knows how sacredly I
    have fulfilled all the duties but upon me as man by humanity, God
    and nature will surely some day relieve me from these
    afflictions."

"Today is Sunday. Shall I read something for you from the
    Gospels? 'Love ye one another!'"
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Beethoven was a deeply religious man who had a real belief in God, but although raised a Catholic he wasn't a devout Church goer. He did however consent to a priest on his death bed. I think Beethoven's relationship to God can best be summed up as that of a child toward his loving father to whom he confides all his joys as well as sorrows. Some of the following quotes reflect this:

"Truly, a hard lot has befallen me! Yet I accept the decree
      of Fate, and continually pray to God to grant that as long as I
      must endure this death in life, I may be preserved from want."

"It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that
      made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the
      constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

"God, who knows my innermost soul, and knows how sacredly I
      have fulfilled all the duties but upon me as man by humanity, God
      and nature will surely some day relieve me from these
      afflictions."

I know those quotes.
      I especially love the ones about nature and woodlands. He was quite a mystical one our Beethoven.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Yes this is quite a common theme with many composers - a love of solitary walks in the woods -Tchaikovsky, Sibelius and Elgar come to mind. Of course it's no guarantee of a great symphony though as I've discovered for myself!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
          Do you know to whom Beethoven said this?

Comment

In the liner notes to Giulini's Missa Solemnis & Mass in C Major, Philippe Mougeot (translated to English) writes:
            Beethoven...loved God passionately and intensely (his diaries make this plain): 'To come ever closer to the Divinity in order to pour down (through Art) His radiance on mankind - there is nothing higher.' This declaration, which he made in 1823 and which contains no trace of pride, is the perfect expression of the dignity and responsibility of the artist.
            "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
            --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
              Do you know to whom Beethoven said this?
              I think it was Nanette Streicher.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

In the liner notes to Giulini's Missa Solemnis & Mass in C Major, Philippe Mougeot (translated to English) writes:
                Quote:
                Beethoven...loved God passionately and intensely (his diaries make this plain): 'To come ever closer to the Divinity in order to pour down (through Art) His radiance on mankind - there is nothing higher.' This declaration, which he made in 1823 and which contains no trace of pride, is the perfect expression of the dignity and responsibility of the artist.
                Yes, he was humble in his desire to bring spiritual music to people and he did have a great sense of dignity and responsbility in his work.
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I think it was Nanette Streicher.
                  So it wasn't Karl?

(PS...'high there' :-) )
                  "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

EternaLisa, I like your signature. Reminds me of Hebrews 3:4
                    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
                    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Originally posted by EternaLisa View Post
                      So it wasn't Karl?

(PS...'high there' :-) )
                      High there! The quote reference is to Nanette Streicher, but who knows, he probably said this to Karl as well!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                        EternaLisa, I like your signature. Reminds me of Hebrews 3:4
                        hi--thank you

{{{{reminds me of Beeeeeethvn }}}}

xoxox
                        E
                        "It was not the fortuitous meeting of the chordal atoms that made the world; if order and beauty are reflected in the constitution of the universe, then there is a God."

Comment

High there! The quote reference is to Nanette Streicher, but who knows, he probably said this to Karl as well!
                          ja.....

xoxox
                          E

Comment

Working...
                          X