Originally posted by Bob the Composer:
    Never mind, I can see the pictures quite well now that I have seen it again

Bob
    I knew you'd come round!

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

That just goes to show you how people, for the most part, reject change in any form until they realize it really does work and look better than before!

Joy
      'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:
        That just goes to show you how people, for the most part, reject change in any form until they realize it really does work and look better than before!

Joy
        I could mention Peter's gradual, begrudging acceptance of the Viennese fortepiano in relation to your above remark...but I won't...

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
          I could mention Peter's gradual, begrudging acceptance of the Viennese fortepiano in relation to your above remark...but I won't...

You already did!!
          'Truth and beauty joined'

Comment

Originally posted by Joy:

You already did!!
            Oops! Silly me!

------------------

Comment

Except that isn't change, what came after B's death is change and who's the one who won't accept?!!

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
                Except that isn't change, what came after B's death is change and who's the one who won't accept?!!
                Not quite so Peter. How ironic it is that today, with regard to Beethoven, the change is in fact from the modern standard to the standard of circa 200 years ago. That's progress for you. Not so long ago such a change was thought impossible by the most respected of scholars and performers.

------------------

Comment

Not quite so Peter. How ironic it is that today, with regard to Beethoven, the change is in fact from the modern standard to the standard of circa 200 years ago. That's progress for you. Not so long ago such a change was thought impossible by the most respected of scholars and performers.

There hasn't been a change back - ok there is more interest in period instruments, but Beethoven is still widely performed on modern instruments. I believe you said somewhere that the interest in period instruments is not what it was in the 80's -forgive me if I am misquoting you again!

P.S I attended a wonderful concert by the Hanover band a few weeks back - all Mozart!

------------------
                  'Man know thyself'
                  'Man know thyself'

Comment

perhaps we should have a vote on it!! I can assure you I'll be totally democratic and leave it as it is!

I agree with you peter, this voting will turn out perfectly.

------------------
                    freedom for all- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Comment

There hasn't been a change back - ok there is more interest in period instruments, but Beethoven is still widely performed on modern instruments. I believe you said somewhere that the interest in period instruments is not what it was in the 80's -forgive me if I am misquoting you again!

P.S I attended a wonderful concert by the Hanover band a few weeks back - all Mozart!

Not a misquote but an out of context quote, for I was not discussing primarily the general interest but rather Peter's interest! The 'Authentic' movement in general is very strong today however, especially the Baroque ensembles who have revived Handel especially to the public ear, but authentic Beethoven is not the novelty it was with the 'masses' - certainly from a recording perspective. This does not discount the validity of music writers today who are more appreciative of the old ways. It's simply that there aren't enough good performers with vision enough to sustain the novelty.

Interesting you liked the Hanover Band's Mozart yet you still, after all my many recommendations, do not mention their B Symphonies recordings on your recommendations page, nor their Missa Solemnis, which all things considered I prefer to Gardiner's or especially Herreweghe's (or however it's spelt) whom you do mention. Ironically you mention the Hanover Band's B overtures - which you can only buy in a set along with the symphonies and Missa!

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 11-30-2001).]

Comment

Interesting you liked the Hanover Band's Mozart yet you still, after all my many recommendations, do not mention their B Symphonies recordings on your recommendations page, nor their Missa Solemnis, which all things considered I prefer to Gardiner's or especially Herreweghe's (or however it's spelt) whom you do mention. Ironically you mention the Hanover Band's B overtures - which you can only buy in a set along with the symphonies and Missa!

I do intend to redo that page at some stage anyway - in the meanwhile the Hanover band gets good coverage on the Symphony pages, you may also have noticed they are listed on the links page.

------------------
                        'Man know thyself'
                        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Beethoven would love you for saying that - it is actually his life mask!

Why would Beethoven love me for saying this? Did he like people to talk about his dead?

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
                            Why would Beethoven love me for saying this? Did he like people to talk about his dead?
                            You're missing the point - the image on the home page is NOT his death mask - it his life mask made in 1812.

------------------
                            'Man know thyself'
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

You're missing the point - the image on the home page is NOT his death mask - it his life mask made in 1812.

To finish with this confusion about the mask, why was this mask made? Why did Beethoven want this?

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:

To finish with this confusion about the mask, why was this mask made? Why did Beethoven want this?

[/QUOTE]

Beethoven lost patience whilst the mask was being cast and threw it on the floor where it broke into pieces, as he apparently felt he was going to suffocate under the wet gypsum. A second cast was made and was used as the basis of the bronze bust made by Kleine in 1812. It is the most accurate likenesss we have as to Beethoven's features.

------------------
                                'Man know thyself'
                                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Working...
                                X