Beethoven: man, composer and revolutionary

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven: man, composer and revolutionary

Like the great French revolutionaries, Beethoven was convinced that he was writing for posterity. When (as frequently happened) musicians complained that they could not play his music because it was too difficult, he used to answer: "Don't worry, this is music for the future."

Beethoven's revolution in music was not understood by many of his contemporaries. They regarded this music as bizarre, hair-brained, even crazy. It jolted the philistines out of their comfortable reveries. Audiences resented it precisely because it compelled them to think what the music was about. Instead of pleasant and easy tunes, Beethoven confronted the listener with meaningful themes, with ideas conveyed in music. This tremendous innovation later became the basis of all Romantic music, culminating in the Leitmotifs of Wagner's vast musical dramas. The basis of all subsequent developments is Beethoven.......

http://www.marxist.com/beethoven-man...nary260506.htm
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Thank you for posting this info. I think it gets at a large part of why we are so highly dedicated to Beethoven's music. I think that much of Beethoven's music is the greatest music ever written, and will never be equalled or surpassed this side of eternity. I am biased, but so what. Yes other composers have created great works (Handel's Messiah for one) but as your signature quote so clearly says, "there is only one Beethoven." For me, anyway, this is where it's at.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Thank you for posting this info. I think it gets at a large part of why we are so highly dedicated to Beethoven's music. I think that much of Beethoven's music is the greatest music ever written, and will never be equalled or surpassed this side of eternity.
      I'm glad you like it Harvey! Yes his music is the greatest and will never be equalled nor surpassed!

I am biased, but so what.
      No, because it is true and it is a realisation!

Yes other composers have created great works (Handel's Messiah for one) but as your signature quote so clearly says, "there is only one Beethoven." For me, anyway, this is where it's at.
      Indeed- only one LvB.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
      X