• Show
Clear All

The Mystery of Beethoven's String Quartet in C-sharp Minor, Opus 131

I thought you all might like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nb3R661Tvh0
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Thanks for that. It was very insightful, if a little technically above my head, but I understood the essence of it, and I actually heard the music in a new light having listened to the piece many times. Whether Beethoven consciously had all that in mind when composing the piece I don't know, but I always feel there are no happy coincidences when it comes to Beethoven - especially late Beethoven. I only have to listen to the Diabelli variations to see Beethoven at the peak of his craft and how he is able to create a unified masterwork that uses every atom of the Diabelli theme.

As odd as this sounds, when the analysis finished and the closing moments of the fourth movement was being played, it felt like that moment at the end of a great film when you just sit there in silence while listening to the credit music as you contemplate what you have just watched. I feel imparted with wisdom

Comment

Originally posted by hal9000 View Post
      Thanks for that. It was very insightful, if a little technically above my head, but I understood the essence of it, and I actually heard the music in a new light having listened to the piece many times. Whether Beethoven consciously had all that in mind when composing the piece I don't know, but I always feel there are no happy coincidences when it comes to Beethoven - especially late Beethoven. I only have to listen to the Diabelli variations to see Beethoven at the peak of his craft and how he is able to create a unified masterwork that uses every atom of the Diabelli theme.

As odd as this sounds, when the analysis finished and the closing moments of the fourth movement was being played, it felt like that moment at the end of a great film when you just sit there in silence while listening to the credit music as you contemplate what you have just watched. I feel imparted with wisdom
      I am glad you liked it..I confess to only seeing a bit of it..will watch it tomorrow after breakfast when my mind is sharper! Oh he was so clever!
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I wonder if anyone here has seen the film, "A Late Quartet" from 2012, starring the recently-deceased Philip Hoffman.

The C sharp minor work is used extensively throughout (played by the Brentano), and the music serves to link the musician characters and plot. The ending is quite touching. The film is well worth watching.

Comment

Yes - an excellent film - and as a result of seeing it, I spent most of last Christmas listening to the quartet, which I first heard nearly forty years ago! Beethoven considered it his finest quartet - and I consider it his toughest.
          It literally takes years to reveal all its secrets.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
            Yes - an excellent film - and as a result of seeing it, I spent most of last Christmas listening to the quartet, which I first heard nearly forty years ago! Beethoven considered it his finest quartet - and I consider it his toughest.
            It literally takes years to reveal all its secrets.
            That reminds me of an awesome thing Ludwig said about his music:

"He who divines the secret of my music is delivered from the misery that haunts the world."
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
              I wonder if anyone here has seen the film, "A Late Quartet" from 2012, starring the recently-deceased Philip Hoffman.

The C sharp minor work is used extensively throughout (played by the Brentano), and the music serves to link the musician characters and plot. The ending is quite touching. The film is well worth watching.
              I did buy the dvd a while back on recommendations from other members but have yet to watch it - thanks for reminding me!
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

Today I finished the orchestration of the outstanding Finale of this quartett - the climax of all of his chamber music Finali movements:

http://www.gerdprengel.de/Beeth-op131-7-orch.mp3

Again this work of orchestration has helped me a lot to understand this great movement more fully as details of the voices came to light which in the past I had missed to see...

Gerd

Comment

Sorry for the bump, but the video is dead and I would very much like to watch it again. You didn't happen to save it Aeolian, or have another link to it?

Comment

Sorry for the bump, but the video is dead and I would very much like to watch it again. You didn't happen to save it Aeolian, or have another link to it?
                    Sorry no, the poster has removed it. Shame, I wanted to see it again also.
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                      Sorry no, the poster has removed it. Shame, I wanted to see it again also.
                      Who was the poster? Maybe I will PM him/her. I think I found the book the video was based on (without the name or description of the video I can't be sure), so if nothing else I guess I will just buy that.

At least this serves as a reminder that I need go through my favourites and save the videos I would like to keep. You can't rely on Youtube for posterity, unfortunately.

Comment

Who was the poster? Maybe I will PM him/her. I think I found the book the video was based on (without the name or description of the video I can't be sure), so if nothing else I guess I will just buy that.

At least this serves as a reminder that I need go through my favourites and save the videos I would like to keep. You can't rely on Youtube for posterity, unfortunately.
                        I don't know who the poster was Hal as there is no name there. Let me know how the book is!
                        Yeah- I wish I had downloaded it also! I have downloaded quite a few videos I like in case they vanish!
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                        X