No announcement yet.

How did Beethoven rank his symphonies?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The beauty of it is that all nine symphonies are wonderful! Yes I had bits of the 4th going round in my head as I went to bed. Next week I plan on listening in the car (vs ear bud) to Zinman's 4th then Walter's 6th and 7th. I'll see if the 7th reminds me of the Ninth.
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

You will enjoy the Seventh, especially the second movement!
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
        You will enjoy the Seventh, especially the second movement!
        It is up next on my MP3 player. Gunter Wand.

Tell me. Is my new avatar easily recognizable to a Beethoven addict?
        "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

It is up next on my MP3 player. Gunter Wand.

Tell me. Is my new avatar easily recognizable to a Beethoven addict?
          It is too small for me to see it in detail Harvey, so I cannot answer the question, sorry for that.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Going to have to wait for the listen in the car to really give the 7th a proper review. Earbuds are great but also get distracted and the music gets tuned out.

I have to find a better copy for my avatar then. Anyway, it is the first two notes of the Eroica.

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
              Going to have to wait for the listen in the car to really give the 7th a proper review. Earbuds are great but also get distracted and the music gets tuned out.

I have to find a better copy for my avatar then. Anyway, it is the first two notes of the Eroica.

I don't have good eyesight Harvey and I am rubbish at sight reading, so take no notice of me!
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

I don't have good eyesight Harvey and I am rubbish at sight reading, so take no notice of me!
                Ah, thanks. I'll see if maybe someone else recognizes it. I just love those two opening notes. Glad you can see well enough to participate in the forum. Can you drive a car? My father was legally blind for much of his life and I think went completely blind in his last years. He loved Beethoven's music by the way!

Comment

Ah, thanks. I'll see if maybe someone else recognizes it. I just love those two opening notes. Glad you can see well enough to participate in the forum.
                  LOL Harvey...I meant I am short sighted- got specs and have contact lenses when I can afford them. The notes are just a bit too small for someone who is rubbish at sight reading like me..

Can you drive a car? My father was legally blind for much of his life and I think went completely blind in his last years. He loved Beethoven's music by the way!
                  No, I walk or get the bus. Sorry to hear about your Dad.
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Hopefully the public transportation is better than in the USA. One thing for sure, you will save a lot of money not having, maintaining, and insuring a car. I do wear glasses and am fairly near sighted, get floaters sometimes, but that is it.

My dad had congenital defects from his parents being second cousins. He had retinitis pigmatosa, tunnel vision, macular degeneration, near sightedness, and cataracts that he had removed. None of that passed down through me to my kids thankfully.

Comment

Hopefully the public transportation is better than in the USA.

In cities yes- many people who live in cities don't drive- and traffic is not good for the eco system, so if one can get by without driving- all the better.

One thing for sure, you will save a lot of money not having, maintaining, and insuring a car. I do wear glasses and am fairly near sighted, get floaters sometimes, but that is it.
                      Well yes, especially if one uses one's feet! And walking in the woods is also a very Beethovenian thing to do.

My dad had congenital defects from his parents being second cousins. He had retinitis pigmatosa, tunnel vision, macular degeneration, near sightedness, and cataracts that he had removed. None of that passed down through me to my kids thankfully.
                      Sorry to hear about your Dad and good to know you didn't have these things.
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Upon going to bed I found that I had bits of the first mvt of the 8th going round my head...must download!!!
                        That'll be that musical pillow you got for Xmas....

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                          Yes I had bits of the 4th going round in my head as I went to bed.
                          You got the same gift!

Comment

Originally posted by PDG View Post
                            You got the same gift!
                            Yes, I wonder what it'll be tonight ...sometimes the fast rondos keep me awake...better avoid something fast and passionate..hehe

That'll be that musical pillow you got for Xmas....
                            Yes a LvB one...
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

...better avoid something fast and passionate..hehe
                              I don't know about you, Mr Harp, but I find Beethoven and women together in my life just doesn't work. Passion for one or the other - great - but not both at the same time. Too much division of loyalty, especially when my musical pillow is giving as good as it gets!

Comment

I don't know about you, Mr Harp, but I find Beethoven and women together in my life just doesn't work. Passion for one or the other - great - but not both at the same time. Too much division of loyalty, especially when my musical pillow is giving as good as it gets!

I am female...
                                Ludwig van Beethoven
                                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                                X