The British and Irish songs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The British and Irish songs

Something has been puzzling me about these....did Ludwig write arrangements based on exisiting traditional melodies or did he write new music for the lyrics? Now, given that he didn't speak English ( I think he knew a few words though) how could he have got such perfect timing to go with the rhythm of the English language? I am assuming that someone who spoke English might have sung them to him; most of the songs were written when he could still hear enough it seems.

Oh, he wrote one for me hehe:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrMqSK1kyng

I am of Welsh descent!
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

They were based on original folk tunes - Beethoven would often compose new introductions and endings as well as original harmonies and imaginative accompaniments - I think he complained to Thomson that he didn't always have the words and wanted them sent, which indicates he regarded work quite seriously and not just as hack work.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks for that Peter.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

I have mentioned this so many times that I am sure most of the forum members must be sick of it but:

My home town (Killarney) is mentioned in two of Beethoven's folksong settings.
        Having said that, I doubt if Beethoven was aware of this because many of the lyrics were added later by Thomson.

Another slight connection to my town is the fact that Beethoven was visited by a young composer called Julius Benedict. This gentleman went on to write, in later years, an opera called "The Lily of Killarney".

(Proud sniff - no icon available).

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          My home town (Killarney) is mentioned in two of Beethoven's folksong settings.
          "Let brain-spinning swains", WoO 152, No. 15 immediately came to mind (it's one of my favorites!), but what is the other one?

Comment

Originally posted by Chris View Post
            "Let brain-spinning swains", WoO 152, No. 15 immediately came to mind (it's one of my favorites!), but what is the other one?
            About 48 seconds in, you can "scud across Killarney's lakes". The lyrics were supplied by Joanna Baillie, a Scottish woman who was a dramatist and poet.
            Try and ignore all the alcohol!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4i5X2vkmc1U

Last edited by Michael; 02-16-2014, 07:49 PM.

Comment

Ah, right!

Comment

Working...
              X