Schopenhauer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Schopenhauer

I know Beethoven read some of Kant, but did he ever read Schopenhauer?
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Not that I'm aware of - I think his interest in Kant was primarily as a young man and his preferred reading in later life was Homer, Schiller, Goethe and Shakespeare. Schopenhauer had a much greater influence on the generation after Beethoven, Wagner in particular.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      Not that I'm aware of - I think his interest in Kant was primarily as a young man and his preferred reading in later life was Homer, Schiller, Goethe and Shakespeare. Schopenhauer had a much greater influence on the generation after Beethoven, Wagner in particular.
      Thanks Peter.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        I beg to differ on that regarding Kant - based on some of the conversational books I feel the influence pretty much stayed with him till the end of his days.

There is a very interesting entry there made by Beethoven himself, this was in February 1820 when he was composing Missa Solemnis as well as the song "Abendlied unter'm gestirntem Himmel" (=Evening song under a starry sky) WoO 150:

"Das moralische Gesetz in uns, und der gestirnte Himmel über uns" - Kant!!!

Which I would translate with my somewhat rusty German: "The moral laws in us and the starry sky/Heaven (same word in Ger) above us".

That is a rephrased quotation from the conclusion part of Critique of Practical Reason by Kant, the whole original quote goes:

Zwei Dinge erfüllen das Gemüt mit immer neuer und zunehmender Bewunderung und Ehrfurcht, je öfter und anhaltender sich das Nachdenken damit beschäftigt: Der gestirnte Himmel über mir, und das moralische Gesetz in mir.

Again roughly in Eng: "Two things fill the mind with ever new and increasing admiration and awe, the more often and longer one's thoughts are occupied with them: The starry sky above me, and the moral laws in me."

It's interesting that Beethoven rephrased the quote by changing the pronoun "me" into "us". I like to think he was referring to the whole of mankind with that, as was maybe Kant as well but Beethoven chooses to use the more uniting word "us". Alle Menschen werden Brüder...
        Fühle was dies' Herz empfindent, reiche frei mir deine Hand, und das Band das uns verbindet, sei kein schwaches Rosenband! (J.W.von Goethe)

Comment

Thanks for that!
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Another element in this discussion: Schopenhauer did not publish his main book till 1818 (Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung) and that was not a great success at the time, I understand, so the question is open whether Beethoven would have known about it.... or do I miss something here?

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
              Another element in this discussion: Schopenhauer did not publish his main book till 1818 (Die Welt als Wille und Vorstellung) and that was not a great success at the time, I understand, so the question is open whether Beethoven would have known about it.... or do I miss something here?
              Well, probably not then!
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
              X