Why we love and need the Ninth

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Anything to do with a famous James Stewart movie?

Welcome to the forum!
    Thanks, no I was named Harvey after Paul Harvey since my first name is Paul--so that is my Dad's story. Mom thought it was after my grandfather, Harvey. And now you know the rest of the story. Good day!
    "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."
    --Sergei Vasilyevich Rachmaninoff

Comment

Oh I love that film- so charming!
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Hello all, I'm a new member here. I had to sign up after my dad Harvey joined yesterday. Looks like a great site! I love Beethoven, he and Handel are my two favorites. The ninth is a particular favorite of mine, but I love them all and also love the Missa Solemnis, Choral Fantasy, Fidelio....I could name them all! By the way in case you don't know my username and avatar are after my favorite character in Fidelio....the avatar is specifically from the 1978 Berenstain Fidelio performance. Anyway glad to be here!
        Last edited by Rocco; 02-22-2014, 03:37 PM.
        For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Welcome, Harvey and Rocco, to the forum!

The 9th was my "Holy Grail" as a kid and finally a friend lent me his Toscanini performance of the work. However, it's one that I had to grow into as it did not meet my then expectations. That was due to my own misunderstanding of music and of Beethoven. Since then I have listened (like many others here) to many different performances of the work and have grown to love it, although I can't really say that I have a favorite performance.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Sorrano! I'm already enjoying it here!
            For God so loved the world, that he gave his only begotten Son, that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. - John 3:16

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
              Hello all, I'm a new member here. I had to sign up after my dad Harvey joined yesterday. Looks like a great site! I love Beethoven, he and Handel are my two favorites. The ninth is a particular favorite of mine, but I love them all and also love the Missa Solemnis, Choral Fantasy, Fidelio....I could name them all! By the way in case you don't know my username and avatar are after my favorite character in Fidelio....the avatar is specifically from the 1978 Berenstain Fidelio performance. Anyway glad to be here!

It's great to have you and your Dad here Rocco! I see you have a particular fondness for Beethoven's choral music. I really must get a DVD of Fidelio. I hear it on his radio station, but I confess to not knowing much about the story or characters.
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

You must get a copy of the 1978 Bernstein Fidelio....It's a must own DVD for all Beethoven fans. In my opinion there is no other DVD of Fidelio that works.
                Here is a link to it.

Comment

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
                  You must get a copy of the 1978 Bernstein Fidelio....It's a must own DVD for all Beethoven fans. In my opinion there is no other DVD of Fidelio that works.
                  Here is a link to it.
                  Absolutely agree. That is the one I selected, and Rocco was not even interested in opera until I had him watch some of this one. He hadn't even seen the whole opera when he was ordering his own copy. Gundula is the perfect Leonora. All the characters are great in this one.
                  "Life is too short to spend it wandering in the barren Sahara of musical trash."

Comment

Awesome guys...I'll look for it on the British Amazon!
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

No problem, I forgot about the British Amazon. Hope they have it for you.

Comment

Did you ever see this 9th done by the Japanese with the 10,000 person choir?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X6s6YKlTpfw

Also some clips from that Fidelio DVD I recommended:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=A9l1wKCv9nE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=RhMdMD9tXB0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=oDcm17CFpoI

Comment

Love that 10,000 voice Ninth!

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                            Love that 10,000 voice Ninth!
                            I must watch that! Hey Harvey have you noticed how fast the Ninth they play on his radio is ( it is played on historical instruments)? There are not so many pauses...was this how it orginally was premiered?
                            Ludwig van Beethoven
                            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                              I must watch that! Hey Harvey have you noticed how fast the Ninth they play on his radio is ( it is played on historical instruments)? There are not so many pauses...was this how it orginally was premiered?
                              I haven't hear it on the Beethoven Only radio yet, but it would also be like Gardiner and Zinman? I think I may have a few other faster tempo Ninths in my collection too. Will have to give them a listen. That is the whole thing about the supposedly faulty metronome affecting the tempo?

Comment

Originally posted by Harvey View Post
                                I haven't hear it on the Beethoven Only radio yet, but it would also be like Gardiner and Zinman? I think I may have a few other faster tempo Ninths in my collection too. Will have to give them a listen. That is the whole thing about the supposedly faulty metronome affecting the tempo?
                                I forget who the orcherstra and conductor are, but they are playing on historical instruments. I will make a note of them next time it is on his radio- it is on at least once a week- and one day recently it was on twice in one day! I have no idea abut a faulty metronome...whose metronome?
                                Ludwig van Beethoven
                                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                                X