Classical music dying in the US?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rocco View Post
    I will have to check out all the nearby universities. I really want to see Beethoven's 9th live!
    Oh God me too!!!
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

When I was a youngster and would go to concerts, I always felt bizarre, as I always seemed to be the exception, most people around being 50+. Meanwhile, I belong in that bracket myself, and I still see full concert halls... to me, it seems that as people get older who have not appreciated classical music at first, seem to move on to classical music. It is nearly a natural thing, I get the impression, that as we grow older, we tend to be a bit more 'philosophical', and I sense that a lot of the good classical music would be 'philosophical': it engages people on a different level than pop. Note that I am not being disparaging about pop, it just is different. Apples and pears sort of thing.

And of course, this is a generalisation, and as such, is inaccurate. But fundamentally, there must be something to this. How, otherwise, do I still see full concert halls, 40 years after I started becoming a regular visitor of concerts all over Holland, Belgium, Germany and England? Same phenomenon everywhere.

Comment

When I was a youngster and would go to concerts, I always felt bizarre, as I always seemed to be the exception, most people around being 50+. Meanwhile, I belong in that bracket myself, and I still see full concert halls... to me, it seems that as people get older who have not appreciated classical music at first, seem to move on to classical music.
        I have noticed that too Albert. My mother has got more into classical music too. And myself I was not listening to it until about 2008.

It is nearly a natural thing, I get the impression, that as we grow older, we tend to be a bit more 'philosophical', and I sense that a lot of the good classical music would be 'philosophical': it engages people on a different level than pop. Note that I am not being disparaging about pop, it just is different. Apples and pears sort of thing.

Yes, well most pop music is superficial ( and getting increasingly tawdry)- I mean listen to the Ninth and compare- the Ninth is profound and spiritual...it is monumental...

And of course, this is a generalisation, and as such, is inaccurate. But fundamentally, there must be something to this. How, otherwise, do I still see full concert halls, 40 years after I started becoming a regular visitor of concerts all over Holland, Belgium, Germany and England? Same phenomenon everywhere.
        Well you know when I go to a monthly concert with my friend Albert, yes I would say most of the audience are aged 40+ and yet...I saw a young rocker guy I know to say hello to once there- I was surprised! And I see children there too and people in their 20s. In fact one of the most delightful things I saw once was a boy with Down's Syndrome sat next to us with his grandmother and this boy was excited! He was literally bouncing in his seat and started doing conducting movements!

The fact that pop is getting more and more tawdry and superficial- bring it on! as people will seek something that statisfies them more...leading them to classical music!
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
        Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
        X