New page!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

New page!

I think you'll all appreciate this new page on the site - take a look!
    www.kingsbarn.freeserve.co.uk/houses.htm

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Originally posted by Peter:

Mail must have been a nightmare... but then again this is before the age of junkmail...LOL. How could he remember which house is his with so many??

That's cool.

I actually stayed in a hotel in Vienna which was right next door to one of the Beethoven houses, but I forget which one it is. All the Vienna facades are too similar...well, at least to a foreigner... it's more diverse than American suburbia at least...

Comment

The buildings shown in this page were reformed or they are the same than 200 years ago?

Comment

Originally posted by chopithoven:
        The buildings shown in this page were reformed or they are the same than 200 years ago?
        A mixture of both - The Schwarzpanierhaus is definitely not the original building. The Molkerbastei which was as near to a consistent address Beethoven ever got is original.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

A mixture of both - The Schwarzpanierhaus is definitely not the original building. The Molkerbastei which was as near to a consistent address Beethoven ever got is original.
          I've got an early photo of the building as it was in B's time. If you want I could scan it for you, but the quality isn't too hot. For the record the name of the building does not refer to Spanish Moors, as has been suggested by some, but rather black robed priests from a Spanish Christian order who lived in the building, I think their church (or monastery or whatever) was alongside.

------------------
          "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
          http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
            I've got an early photo of the building as it was in B's time. If you want I could scan it for you, but the quality isn't too hot. For the record the name of the building does not refer to Spanish Moors, as has been suggested by some, but rather black robed priests from a Spanish Christian order who lived in the building, I think their church (or monastery or whatever) was alongside.

Well it would be nice to see it anyway even if the quality isn't much - did you take the photo?

The church was next to B's appartment and I wonder if it still stands. Thanks for the info re the origin of the name, I think it literally translates as house of the Black Spaniard.

------------------
            'Man know thyself'

[This message has been edited by Peter (edited 11-27-2001).]
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I always thought it was "House of the Black Beard of the Spaniard"(?)

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:

More for the record: Benedictine monks from Montserrat (in Spain!), called "Black Spaniards" because of their black robes, took over the building in 17th century and used is as monastery until 1779. The house where B died was replaced by a new one in 1904. It’s at the address 15 Schwartzspanierstrasse (Black Spaniard Street). Still with a Beethoven memorial plate on it though: "Beethovens Sterbehaus".

Comment

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Peter:
                  [B]I think you'll all appreciate this new page on the site - take a look!

You know the master had only moved a few more times than I have!

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Suzie:
                    [b]

But a few less than me!

------------------
                    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
                    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

this is pretty cool! Nice page Peter!

------------------
                      freedom for all- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Comment

[quote]Originally posted by Suzie:
                        [b]

*LOL*

------------------
                        freedom for all- Ludwig Van Beethoven

Comment

Working...
                        X