Classical myths?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Classical myths?

Interesting article - I didn't even know the Percy Grainger one!
    http://www.limelightmagazine.com.au/...busters.aspx/0
    'Man know thyself'

Fascinating stuff. I do remember reading somewhere that Percy Grainger was a very weird individual indeed, not at all the "English Country Gardens" type.

Comment

While a pupil at the Hoch Conservatory in Frankfurt between 1895 and 1901, he even began categorically documenting his whippings – self-inflicted and otherwise – with a series of journal entries and photographs.
      I have never understood this suffering from painful eczema; people with chronic skin diseases like mine cannot understand why someone would deliberately wound healthy skin. What I'd give to be free of this affliction for life!
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
        I have never understood this suffering from painful eczema; people with chronic skin diseases like mine cannot understand why someone would deliberately wound healthy skin. What I'd give to be free of this affliction for life!
        Sorry to hear you've got Eczema - you're right, but people self harm in many different ways often without realising they're harming themselves as well as others. I disagree with one of the 'myths' - regarding listening to classical music, I'm sure it is beneficial in much deeper ways than the article suggests.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
          Sorry to hear you've got Eczema - you're right, but people self harm in many different ways often without realising they're harming themselves as well as others. I disagree with one of the 'myths' - regarding listening to classical music, I'm sure it is beneficial in much deeper ways than the article suggests.

Thanks Peter- what makes it doubly annoying tonight is that I was supposed to be going to see the Emperor Concerto at 7.30 pm tonight.

Me too re Classical music- without Beethoven's music I'd go mad right now!
          When my arms are particuarly painful I think of his ill health and his courage, and try to follow his example. There's nothing like a chronic recurring condition to make one feel like giving up.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
            Thanks Peter- what makes it doubly annoying tonight is that I was supposed to be going to see the Emperor Concerto at 7.30 pm tonight.

Me too re Classical music- without Beethoven's music I'd go mad right now!
            When my arms are particuarly painful I think of his ill health and his courage, and try to follow his example. There's nothing like a chronic recurring condition to make one feel like giving up.
            Yes I can imagine how frustrating it must be for you - you're right, Beethoven certainly does inspire me as well in times of crisis. I hope your condition improves soon.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
              Yes I can imagine how frustrating it must be for you - you're right, Beethoven certainly does inspire me as well in times of crisis. I hope your condition improves soon.
              Thanks Peter- he really really does. Listening to some of his violin and string music calms down my inflammation!

I am getting Neem oil as that is said to work wonders. It is said it stinks, but I'd rather stink for a bit and get better. Just have to get more tea lights for the lavender oil pot- a pongy house is not acceptable!
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
              X