The Rheingasse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Rheingasse

Anyone know if there are old 1800s photos or drawings of the Rheingasse to be seen online? I have had a look on Beethovenhaus website and seen the Fischer house and looked online and found nothing.

I found out last night that the old Rheingasse houses were destroyed by the RAF of my country in 1944! I am dismayed and saddened by this.

P.S we need a tearful smiley here.

I also found this old footage of Beethovenhaus after its roof was bombed! What sacrilige.

http://www.criticalpast.com/video/65...age-during-war

It narrowly escaped being destroyed also. Fortunately the precious items were safely stored underground.
    Last edited by AeolianHarp; 01-06-2014, 11:31 AM.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Thanks for that interesting and rare footage - the Tchaikovsky house museum at Klin suffered as well and was occupied by Nazi soldiers, but is now fully restored.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks for posting that, Aeolian. I visited the house twice in 2010 and, for Xmas, my daughter gave me a framed photo of myself standing proudly in the courtyard. Below it, on my wall, I have a drawing of the same area made in the nineteenth century.
      I never realised it had been damaged to that extent during the war, but it could have been much worse.

Sorry I can't help with the Rheingasse (so far anyway).

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
        Thanks for that interesting and rare footage - the Tchaikovsky house museum at Klin suffered as well and was occupied by Nazi soldiers, but is now fully restored.
        I didn't know about T's house in Klin. Terrible- glad it is restored.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
          Thanks for posting that, Aeolian. I visited the house twice in 2010 and, for Xmas, my daughter gave me a framed photo of myself standing proudly in the courtyard. Below it, on my wall, I have a drawing of the same area made in the nineteenth century.
          I never realised it had been damaged to that extent during the war, but it could have been much worse.

Sorry I can't help with the Rheingasse (so far anyway).

Well the RAF should have not bombed such an historic area associated with the world's greatest composer!!! Beethoven should have been respected!!
          I bet you had a great time at the house.

And the bombs are still there- last Friday a German man died because one went off- 16 miles away from Bonn!!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...near-Bonn.html

Sorry, I'm in a grumpy mood today.
          Last edited by AeolianHarp; 01-06-2014, 01:55 PM.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
          X