His birthday!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
    By that reckoning ought it not to have been and be- 1970, 2027?

As Michael mentioned above, the year 2020 will be Beethoven's 250th birthday and there just might be something special for Ludwig here in Vienna. I guess that we'll just have to wait and see...
    "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
      As Michael mentioned above, the year 2020 will be Beethoven's 250th birthday and there just might be something special for Ludwig here in Vienna. I guess that we'll just have to wait and see...
      Awww you called him Ludwig- that's nice. Let's hope so.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

I like your quote, Quijote
        I call Him God, most of the time. Thank Ludwig is an expression well known to my friends. Or 'God is dead, alright, he's buried in Vienna and his music is eternal'. Should have crossed my mind to come to this forum on his birthday. But I did mention it to anyone who is a musically interested friend of mine !

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
          I like your quote, Quijote
          I call Him God, most of the time. Thank Ludwig is an expression well known to my friends. Or 'God is dead, alright, he's buried in Vienna and his music is eternal'. Should have crossed my mind to come to this forum on his birthday. But I did mention it to anyone who is a musically interested friend of mine !

No Albert, I don't think he'd like being called God!!! He was a human being, but one with an immense gift.. and he thought God was helping him find this music. As an athiest I don't know about that, but yes something spiritual was happening. John Lill puts it better than I:

....the word 'genius' seems an inadequate description of his stature for, unlike many great artists who point to and describe the human condition so admirably, to me Beethoven's greatest works are so spiritually exalted that they actually transcend emotion. They reveal other dimensions seldom realised and represent a straight line to destiny and reality. The incredible powers flowing through the composer's mind were not compromised or limited by his earthbound environment. In my view, he is a perfect example of an intermediary receiving vast inspiration from powers outside himself. There can be no other explanation, especially when considering his last great works, written when profoundly deaf.

Another great example of his strength can be seen in the way he reacted to this increasing deafness. Instead of resignation, he surmounted the tragedy to become one of the greatest visionaries of all time. It was not so much whether he received hardship, but the way he reacted to it that made such a premature and permanent development of his mind. This is surely a lesson for all.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/blog/gra...stature-as-a-c
          Last edited by AeolianHarp; 12-22-2013, 05:24 PM.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
            No Megan!
            I don't think he'd like being called God!!! He was a human being, but one with an immense gift.. and he thought God was helping him find this music. As an athiest I don't know about that, but yes something spiritual was happening. John Lill puts it better than I:

....the word 'genius' seems an inadequate description of his stature for, unlike many great artists who point to and describe the human condition so admirably, to me Beethoven's greatest works are so spiritually exalted that they actually transcend emotion. They reveal other dimensions seldom realised and represent a straight line to destiny and reality. The incredible powers flowing through the composer's mind were not compromised or limited by his earthbound environment. In my view, he is a perfect example of an intermediary receiving vast inspiration from powers outside himself. There can be no other explanation, especially when considering his last great works, written when profoundly deaf.

Another great example of his strength can be seen in the way he reacted to this increasing deafness. Instead of resignation, he surmounted the tragedy to become one of the greatest visionaries of all time. It was not so much whether he received hardship, but the way he reacted to it that made such a premature and permanent development of his mind. This is surely a lesson for all.

http://www.gramophone.co.uk/blog/gra...stature-as-a-c

It's Albert who was saying that he refers to Ludwig as a god.
            🎹

Comment

OOPs sorry Megan! I must need new glasses..
              Ludwig van Beethoven
              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

John Lill's description is perfectly in line with my views. Being an atheist as well, I see his contribution to humanity as something that is truly unique in ways no other composer can touch me. And indeed, the later in his life, the higher the norms he sets. I always refer to his late quartets as metaphysical. And as a branch of his music that still has not found a successor, two hundred years on.
                As I was standing at his grave in 2008 (about exactly 5 years ago), I was thinking: how many people in the world can claim to have moved the souls of so many others and to continue doing so 200 years after their death? Very few, indeed, and Beethoven was probably the only one who predicted it, he knew he was unique and in his inimitable way he made that perfectly clear to Lichnowsky.

Comment

John Lill's description is perfectly in line with my views. Being an atheist as well, I see his contribution to humanity as something that is truly unique in ways no other composer can touch me. And indeed, the later in his life, the higher the norms he sets. I always refer to his late quartets as metaphysical. And as a branch of his music that still has not found a successor, two hundred years on.
                  Me too Albert! I was incredibly moved by John Lill's words. It's true! Whilst not a believer in God in the sense of the monotheists.. ( that's what I mean in my sense of being an athiest) I do believe in spirituality- I'm a Buddhist. And I have no doubts that dear Beethoven was in touch with something deeper than ordinary reality.

As I was standing at his grave in 2008 (about exactly 5 years ago), I was thinking: how many people in the world can claim to have moved the souls of so many others and to continue doing so 200 years after their death? Very few, indeed, and Beethoven was probably the only one who predicted it, he knew he was unique and in his inimitable way he made that perfectly clear to Lichnowsky.
                  Yes, he knew, he knew! That's why he demanded respect- it wasn't his ego, nor himself but his music that he wanted to be respected and known for what it is. So, if he himself wasn't being treated well, it was kind of a slur on his art if you know what I mean?
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                  X