What can this music possibly be?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What can this music possibly be?

All I can say is that it is a short composition by Brahms. Any idea?

There is a mistake in the notation. Each of the four periods comprising the theme should end in a rest occupying a whole measure. Anyways, for anybody having the theme in his head it should be recognizable. Also, the time signature and key may be wrong.

Yes it's the wrong key - it's the Hungarian dance no.1 in G minor.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JJ47Tc4jDi0
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thank you Peter. Better late than never. By the way, do you know of any connection between this piece and Adolf Hitler?

Comment

No Enrique, is there one? I would have thought it unlikely!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
          Thank you Peter. Better late than never. By the way, do you know of any connection between this piece and Adolf Hitler?
          The only connection I see is in the movie "The Great Dictator" with Charlie Chaplin with its parody of Hitler. In this movie Chaplin is a barber cutting the hair to the music of this Hungarian dance...

--> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBV3-Omz-Gw
          Last edited by gprengel; 12-29-2013, 06:21 PM.

Comment

Thanks for the video clip, Gerd. What I heard about this piece, the Hungarian dance no.1, is that it was a favorite one of Hitler. Whether it is true, I don't know.

Comment

Originally posted by Enrique View Post
              Thanks for the video clip, Gerd. What I heard about this piece, the Hungarian dance no.1, is that it was a favorite one of Hitler. Whether it is true, I don't know.
              I think it unlikely as the Hungarian dances are (though not authentically so) linked to folk and gypsy music.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I must be a local myth, then. Thanks Peter.

Comment

Working...
                X