Heiligenstadt

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Heiligenstadt

Anyone know how many times B went to Heiligenstadt? Was in only in 1802 or more than once? It looks a very beautiful place.
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

I can't say exactly how many times Beethoven was in Heiligenstadt (where I happen to live) but there are at least 3 houses where he lived here that are still standing. Then there are two more houses that are located just outside of Heiligenstadt's border with neighboring Nussdorf and Unterdöbling (which are all parts of Vienna's 19th district called Döbling).
    "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
      I can't say exactly how many times Beethoven was in Heiligenstadt (where I happen to live) but there are at least 3 houses where he lived here that are still standing. Then there are two more houses that are located just outside of Heiligenstadt's border with neighboring Nussdorf and Unterdöbling (which are all parts of Vienna's 19th district called Döbling).

Thanks Hollywood! I envy you living in Heiligenstadt- it's beautiful! I love this photo from the nineteenth century:

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...=1506&_seite=6

Are there still many such streets? And are any them sort of winding and steep?
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

List of Beethoven addresses with dates:
        http://www.lvbeethoven.co.uk/page32a.html
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
          Thanks Hollywood! I envy you living in Heiligenstadt- it's beautiful! I love this photo from the nineteenth century:

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...=1506&_seite=6
          You see, that's what gets me: we see these streets as they were back in the day: unpaved, muddy, downright inconvenient and very probably hell in winter and dusty as hell in summer. And yet Beethoven (and others) managed to produce music of such sophistication that was so far ahead of their abilities in infrastructure (including sewage, damn it!).

Comment

Still, that said, Vienna is a place that I wouldn't mind living in (if the salary was OK). But before that, I'd opt for Barcelona or Berlin. If I could get 'meaningful' employment in either of these two latter cities I'd be booking my flights there tomorrow !!
            Last edited by Quijote; 12-13-2013, 05:53 PM.

Comment

And regarding the photo posted just above by Aeolian, that looks very close to how it looks today (minus of course unpaved roads and so on ...). I was there last year with Hollywood, and it was great.

@Hollywood - my best regards to you - hope you're doing OK. Have a beer for me, and I'll certainly get in touch next time I'm in Vienna.
              PS: You forgot to send me those embarrassing photos of the BRS moderators. We did agree the price, remember?

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                You see, that's what gets me: we see these streets as they were back in the day: unpaved, muddy, downright inconvenient and very probably hell in winter and dusty as hell in summer. And yet Beethoven (and others) managed to produce music of such sophistication that was so far ahead of their abilities in infrastructure (including sewage, damn it!).

And meaning today- we have sophisticated infrastructures like running hot water, central heating, electricity, trains, supposedly good roads (though you should see the potholes in my home town) but Rubbish music like this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMMO4Nwidq0

WIMPS!!!!!!!

Now this is the music of a REAL man : Oh God yes!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fgrFI_Zp1Tc

(Why did I choose that silly song as an example? Well it is was on in Asda a few days ago when shopping for victuals and I was thinking wimps wimps wimps!! and couldn't wait to get home to Beethoven!!
                Last edited by AeolianHarp; 12-13-2013, 07:59 PM.
                Ludwig van Beethoven
                Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Still, that said, Vienna is a place that I wouldn't mind living in (if the salary was OK). But before that, I'd opt for Barcelona or Berlin. If I could get 'meaningful' employment in either of these two latter cities I'd be booking my flights there tomorrow !!
                  Oh I'd be off to Heiligenstadt!
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    List of Beethoven addresses with dates:
                    http://www.lvbeethoven.co.uk/page32a.html
                    Cheers Peter! I forgot about that page...
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

And regarding the photo posted just above by Aeolian, that looks very close to how it looks today (minus of course unpaved roads and so on ...). I was there last year with Hollywood, and it was great.
                      Sre the streets all windy and steep and olde worlde?

@Hollywood - my best regards to you - hope you're doing OK. Have a beer for me, and I'll certainly get in touch next time I'm in Vienna.
                      PS: You forgot to send me those embarrassing photos of the BRS moderators. We did agree the price, remember?
                      You're quite a wag aren't you?
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Hey Philip, if you ever get to visit Barcelona would you take a photo of the statue of Count Ramon Berenguer III that is located on the other side of the Chapel of St. Agatha in the Plaza del Rey for me? He is my 28 times great grandfather.
                        "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Working...
                        X