Beethoven's last days

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven's last days

I have just finished reading Gerhard von Breuning's account and it is very moving. The von Breunings were true friends, without them B would have died alone - so here begs the question: where were his other so called friends????
    Zmeskall, Archduke Rudolph etc.... I mean his housekeeper Sali was there, but not so called friends?!
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

There were many others who did visit Beethoven in his last days such as Huttenbrenner, Hummel - even Schindler was there on the last day and to be fair a dying man should really be left in peace! Zmeskall was an old man and an invalid and I think the Archduke wasn't in Vienna at the time.
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
      There were many others who did visit Beethoven in his last days such as Huttenbrenner, Hummel - even Schindler was there on the last day and to be fair a dying man should really be left in peace! Zmeskall was an old man and an invalid and I think the Archduke wasn't in Vienna at the time.
      Ah, ok as Gerhard didn't mention them it just looked they had abandoned B! Oh sure, the dying need peace, a loving visit from someone who cares is also appreciated. I wasn't talking about them being there in droves- one or two at a time, for maybe half hour or so.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
        Ah, ok as Gerhard didn't mention them it just looked they had abandoned B! Oh sure, the dying need peace, a loving visit from someone who cares is also appreciated. I wasn't talking about them being there in droves- one or two at a time, for maybe half hour or so.
        Well that's how they did visit him in small groups during the weeks leading up to his death until he was actually dead and became a city attraction! Don't forget Gerhard was writing many years after the event and was only 13 at the time of the events he describes. The most bizarre aspect for him must have been having Beethoven's skull by his bedside!
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Well that's how they did visit him in small groups during the weeks leading up to his death until he was actually dead and became a city attraction! Don't forget Gerhard was writing many years after the event and was only 13 at the time of the events he describes. The most bizarre aspect for him must have been having Beethoven's skull by his bedside!

A city attraction? From what I read his funeral was moving and dignified, and the fact that thousands turned up to pay their respects is a testament to how much his music was admired.

Yeahhhhhh...much as I am fond of B, not sure I'd have wanted to sleep next to his skull..more it would have made me sad rather than spooked, though.
          Last edited by AeolianHarp; 12-12-2013, 05:42 PM.
          Ludwig van Beethoven
          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
            A city attraction? From what I read his funeral was moving and dignified and the fact that thousands turned up to pay their respects is a testament to how much his music was admired.

Yeahhhhhh...much as I am fond of B, not sure I'd have wanted to sleep next to his skull..more it would have made me sad rather than spooked, though.
            No I didn't mean the funeral - I meant whilst he was still lying dead in his apartment, people filed through.
            'Man know thyself'

Comment

Hi guys, I'm new here! found this place thanks to AeolianHarp. I have some training in classical music, I play the piano and sing in a choir and Beethoven has been my favourite ever since childhood. He's been wonderful to grow up with and his art continues to accompany me where ever I end up in life

About this subject, yes I have heard there were actually many people there visiting him when he was already dying. I remember a beautiful story about a young soprano and some man who went to meet Beethoven because they as musicians wished to say farewell to this great legend while they still could. I can't remember what the man had performed, but she had sang "Abscheulicher!", the aria of Leonore, and it had been a very moving experience. Poor Beethoven couldn't hear her sing, but he saw how trained she was, how she would use her whole body when she sang, and he complimented her with all his heart, saying he wished he could also hear her...

So no, I don't think he was abandoned in any way.

After Beethoven had died and the word was spread in town, people would come and clip his hair. Schindler was there trying to stop them, and there were even some fights if I remember correctly. The house was demolished sometime in 1880s but the door nob and lock has been preserved (!) and they can be found today in Heiligenstadt, Vienna, in a small museum dedicated for the testament B wrote there.
              Fühle was dies' Herz empfindent, reiche frei mir deine Hand, und das Band das uns verbindet, sei kein schwaches Rosenband! (J.W.von Goethe)

Comment

Originally posted by Fredrika View Post
                Hi guys, I'm new here! found this place thanks to AeolianHarp. I have some training in classical music, I play the piano and sing in a choir and Beethoven has been my favourite ever since childhood. He's been wonderful to grow up with and his art continues to accompany me where ever I end up in life

About this subject, yes I have heard there were actually many people there visiting him when he was already dying. I remember a beautiful story about a young soprano and some man who went to meet Beethoven because they as musicians wished to say farewell to this great legend while they still could. I can't remember what the man had performed, but she had sang "Abscheulicher!", the aria of Leonore, and it had been a very moving experience. Poor Beethoven couldn't hear her sing, but he saw how trained she was, how she would use her whole body when she sang, and he complimented her with all his heart, saying he wished he could also hear her...

After Beethoven had died and the word was spread in town, people would come and clip his hair. Schindler was there trying to stop them, and there were even some fights if I remember correctly. The house was demolished sometime in 1880s but the door nob and lock has been preserved (!) and they can be found today in Heiligenstadt, Vienna, in a small museum dedicated for the testament B wrote there.
                Welcome Fredrika - no the house was demolished and rebuilt around 1904 and fortunately the interior of Beethoven's apartment was photographed. There are also photos from the 1870's of the exterior.
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Welcome Fredrika - no the house was demolished and rebuilt around 1904 and fortunately the interior of Beethoven's apartment was photographed and I have a copy of this. There are also photos from the 1870's of the exterior.
                  Hello to Fredrika too.
                  Peter: would you mind posting those photos? I for one would be fascinated to see them.

Comment

No I didn't mean the funeral - I meant whilst he was still lying dead in his apartment, people filed through.
                    I hope you don't mean mere passers by Peter. For his friends to come whilst lying in state, to say goodbye is a different matter.
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                      Hello to Fredrika too.
                      Peter: would you mind posting those photos? I for one would be fascinated to see them.
                      Yes I'll search them out and scan them for you tomorrow - had a very busy day pruning shrubs and have only just finished teaching so rather tired! If you're feeling macabre there are photos of Beethoven and Schubert skulls as well!
                      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Good to see you here Fredrika.

Awww how touching this soprano came to see Beethoven.

After Beethoven had died and the word was spread in town, people would come and clip his hair. Schindler was there trying to stop them, and there were even some fights if I remember correctly.

This is disgraceful- I finished reading Gerhard's memoirs 2 nights ago and he did mention that all dear Beethoven's glorious hair had been cut, but I assumed it had been friends wanting a keepsake, which in those days was done for love of the person, to want to be close to them. So passers by came and stole Beethoven's hair?!

The house was demolished sometime in 1880s but the door nob and lock has been preserved (!) and they can be found today in Heiligenstadt, Vienna, in a small museum dedicated for the testament B wrote there.

I have seen the photos online- very special to see.I would LOVE to go to this museum in Heiligenstadt.

Have you seen this documentary which shows it the house? Though I suppose you have been there?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=byCGtCTwLwQ
                        Last edited by AeolianHarp; 12-13-2013, 02:13 PM.
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Yes I'll search them out and scan them for you tomorrow - had a very busy day pruning shrubs and have only just finished teaching so rather tired! If you're feeling macabre I have photos of Beethoven and Schubert skulls as well!
                          I have seen the photo of B's skull online- does make one feel a bit strange.
                          Ludwig van Beethoven
                          Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
                            Hello to Fredrika too.
                            I can only give you a link as they are copyrighted as you'll see by the Beethovenhaus. The main room shown is where Beethoven died and his bed was in the corner.

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...i2959&_seite=1

You might also find this link with other photos interesting:
                            http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...=1506&_seite=1
                            'Man know thyself'

Comment

I can only give you a link as they are copyrighted as you'll see by the Beethovenhaus. The main room shown is where Beethoven died and his bed was in the corner.

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...i2959&_seite=1

You might also find this link with other photos interesting:
                              http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...=1506&_seite=1

Fascinating photos Peter- I didn't see that link when I was on the Beethoven Haus website last night. Makes one feel a bit funny looking at that empty room. I presume you meant the right hand corner?
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                              X