No announcement yet.

Ducats

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Beethoven Haus in Bonn adds quite a bit to this discussion. I hope to have time in the coming period to read through this....

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...tail.php/31559

Sorry, only found this in German... absolutely fascinating subject.

Albert

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
      The Beethoven Haus in Bonn adds quite a bit to this discussion. I hope to have time in the coming period to read through this....

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...tail.php/31559

Sorry, only found this in German... absolutely fascinating subject.

Albert
      Is German your first language Albert? I know the odd word or two- that's it! However an odd thing happened earlier-I was listening to the CD I got from Beehovenhaus yesterday. This one:

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...d=39158&skip=6

There's a fellow reading the Heiligensdat Testament in German and yet when he read the bit where Beethoven says "Speak more loudly, shout for I am deaf," I understood it!!!! How'd I do that!!! I had the CD on and was only mildly paying attention as I do not know German, and was looking at the track nos on the booklet, so it wasn't as though I was sitting trying to follow the English translation in the booklet.In fact when I realised I had understood it I wondered if that bit had been said in English as it was so clear in my mind.

This CD is well worth adding to one's collection- it's very moving to hear his music how he would have- how unfair life was to him.
      Last edited by AeolianHarp; 12-25-2013, 08:54 PM.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
        Is German your first language Albert? I know the odd word or two- that's it! However an odd thing happened earlier-I was listening to the CD I got from Beehovenhaus yesterday. This one:

http://www.beethoven-haus-bonn.de/si...d=39158&skip=6

There's a fellow reading the Heiligensdat Testament in German and yet when he read the bit where Beethoven says "Speak more loudly, shout for I am deaf," I understood it!!!! How'd I do that!!! I had the CD on and was only mildly paying attention as I do not know German, and was looking at the track nos on the booklet, so it wasn't as though I was sitting trying to follow the English translation in the booklet.In fact when I realised I had understood it I wondered if that bit had been said in English as it was so clear in my mind.

This CD is well worth adding to one's collection- it's very moving to hear his music how he would have- how unfair life was to him.
        That's fascinating, thanks for posting - well worth having indeed.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Dear Aeolianharp,

No, German is not my first language. Flemish (Dutch) is, and I have a British passport, so English could be, too. But my French and German are pretty fluent. In fact, as I am writing, I am in Brahms's birthplace
          Albert

Comment

That's fascinating, thanks for posting - well worth having indeed.
            Yes, I think we can often forget Beethoven couldn't hear properly nearly all the music he wrote. Makes me appreciate his dedication even more.

Dear Aeolianharp,
            No, German is not my first language. Flemish (Dutch) is, and I have a British passport, so English could be, too. But my French and German are pretty fluent. In fact, as I am writing, I am in Brahms's birthplace
            Albert
            Impressive you know all these languages- us Brits are hopeless!
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
            Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
            X