Beethoven in Vienna today

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael View Post
    Well, as I said, I wasn't in Vienna long enough to get a real idea of the place and maybe I was unlucky in the people I met. I also went to Heiligenstadt and asked somebody where the BeethovenGang was. The person I asked was standing in a doorway of the house and she spoke English but could not tell me where the famous walk was (and the name Beethoven didn't seem to ring a bell!) I found the Beethoven walk a hundred yards from her house!

Maybe I picked a bad week!
    Didn't know Beethoven????!!!
    Ludwig van Beethoven
    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
    Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Originally posted by gprengel View Post
      My favourite place in and around Vienna was Baden, in the "house of the Ninth", see http://gerdprengel.de/beethoven-in-vienna.html. This is a very beautiful village and very special to me ...

Gerd
      Stunning pictures! I can see why Beethoven loved these places.
      Ludwig van Beethoven
      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
        Dear Michael,

I am not going to leave it there this time. I may start some sort of campaign to give Beethoven more prominence in Europe. I am thinking of a long term project, aiming towards the 200th anniversary of his death.... I know that is still a while off. But I think that if we want to get the Viennese to move, this may about the right time frame.
        Even if I don't mind the Blue Danube, I would never travel anywhere to go and see/hear it.
        Beethoven wasn't a German, he was/is universal. As is the musical language more generally. People saying such stupid things should reconsider their career.
        I just checked if I will still be alive by then lol- it is 15 years ahead so I assume I will be! Count me in your campaign then Albert. Is there some sort of strange rivalry between Austrians and Germans? Beethoven was German, but, as you noted he sort of transcended his nationality by his music and how it reaches the world. However if anyone would want to be pedantic, Beethoven's ancestors were Flemish!
        He lived in Austria most of his life- you'd think they would at least have some organised guided tours to show people the places associated with him.
        Ludwig van Beethoven
        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
          Wow, I thought all those inns had gone now, the Swan inn is. Really they ought to highlight that Beethoven used to go there and at least have his picture up on the wall! I bet it is all modern in there now and original features all ripped out..
          Dear Aeolian, regarding Peter's post above on the 'Zum Alten Blumenstock', I was there last year and was very disappointed. The restaurant served bog-standard food and the manager (from Croatia, I think) had no idea this was an inn where Beethoven had lived and dined!

Comment

Originally posted by Quijote View Post
            Dear Aeolian, regarding Peter's post above on the 'Zum Alten Blumenstock', I was there last year and was very disappointed. The restaurant served bog-standard food and the manager (from Croatia, I think) had no idea this was an inn where Beethoven had lived and dined!
            That's a shame! What is it with the Viennese?! I cannot blame the Croatian man for not knowing, as he is not from Vienna, but honestly you'd think there would be some sort of Beethoven society there or tourist company who could organise some tours, get all the places Beethoven went to, stayed at etc listed with plaques and a guidebook published!
            I live in Liverpool and we have got Beatles tours sorted out, and no offence to the Beatles, but the pubs and modern houses associated with them are far less interesting!
            Last edited by AeolianHarp; 12-02-2013, 01:20 PM.
            Ludwig van Beethoven
            Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Pity, indeed, about the food. That alone would have enraged Beethoven.

Comment

Ah, but I didn't recommend it for its culinary delights! I seem to recall also having a very mediocre meal, but sitting outside, the street was quiet and we had a great view up to the house Mozart had died in. The only reference to Beethoven was on the back of the menu - obviously the manager hadn't bothered to look!
                'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Sorrano View Post
                  Pity, indeed, about the food. That alone would have enraged Beethoven.
                  Yes, he liked well prepared meals didn't he! Though we don't know how good the inn was when he was there...
                  Ludwig van Beethoven
                  Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
                    Ah, but I didn't recommend it for its culinary delights! I seem to recall also having a very mediocre meal, but sitting outside, the street was quiet and we had a great view up to the house Mozart had died in. The only reference to Beethoven was on the back of the menu - obviously the manager hadn't bothered to look!
                    Is the Mozart house now a museum Peter?
                    Ludwig van Beethoven
                    Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

There is a Beethoven Society in Vienna. Try this:
                      http://www.beethovengesellschaft.at/index.html
                      All it does is emphasise the points I am making. Useless.

Comment

Originally posted by Albert Gans View Post
                        There is a Beethoven Society in Vienna. Try this:
                        http://www.beethovengesellschaft.at/index.html
                        All it does is emphasise the points I am making. Useless.
                        Well, I don't know hardly any German- just a few words I have picked up from reading about dear B, so don't know what it says. But I can see the website looks rather unfinished! One would expect many pages with details of places associated with B, a page on his music etc....
                        Ludwig van Beethoven
                        Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Originally posted by AeolianHarp View Post
                          Is the Mozart house now a museum Peter?
                          No I don't think the house Mozart died in is open to the public - though there is of course the Figarohaus not far from there.
                          'Man know thyself'

Comment

The only thing left to see from the house where Mozart died is the outer facade and a plaque. This site is now occupied by Kaufhaus Steffl, one of Vienna’s most well known department stores. But as Peter mentioned the Mozarthaus (where he lived when he composed "The Marriage of Figaro") is a museum. Here is their website: http://www.mozarthausvienna.at/ml/client/
                            "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

The only thing left to see from the house where Mozart died is the outer facade and a plaque. This site is now occupied by Kaufhaus Steffl, one of Vienna’s most well known department stores.
                              A department store? That's a shame....

But as Peter mentioned the Mozarthaus (where he lived when he composed "The Marriage of Figaro") is a museum. Here is their website: http://www.mozarthausvienna.at/ml/client/
                              Will take a look!
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten

Comment

Working...
                              X