Coral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Coral

I need information on why BeethovenĀ“s 9th symphony would be able to de reffered to as not good, or bad or like Verdi and Spohr said tasteless, monstrous and with a grand finale badly set.

pd thats not my point of view, but is a work i have to do.

------------------
    MONE
    MONE

I don't think anyone would refer to the finale of the 9th in those terms today, however it did not always meet with universal approval. According to Leopold Sonnleithner in an article published in 1864, Czerny had repeatedly told him that Beethoven himself was not satisfied with the finale. Since Sonnleithner did not approve of the finale himself and as Beethoven was working on a 10th symphony at the time of his death (having made no alterations to the 9th) then I think we can safely rely on posteriy's judgement of this great finale.

------------------
    'Man know thyself'
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
      I don't think anyone would refer to the finale of the 9th in those terms today, however it did not always meet with universal approval. According to Leopold Sonnleithner in an article published in 1864, Czerny had repeatedly told him that Beethoven himself was not satisfied with the finale. Since Sonnleithner did not approve of the finale himself and as Beethoven was working on a 10th symphony at the time of his death (having made no alterations to the 9th) then I think we can safely rely on posteriy's judgement of this great finale.

I'm sure B initially could have had understandable doubts about the concept of the finale as a whole within a instrumental symphonic context, and he struggled with the method of convincingly introducing a vocal movement. It would not surprise me if he got cold feet about the idea subequent to its completion, it wouldn't be the first time. I agree the fact that nothing was done about it says to me the doubt (if there was any) was not overwhealmingly strong. I'll see if I can find anything on the matter.

------------------
      "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 11-22-2001).]
      http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
        I'll see if I can find anything on the matter.
        Found nothing worth reporting. However this subject reminds me of the many happy hours I've spent insulting certain 3rd rate 'composers' who thought the finale needed correction (presumably blaming B's deafness) and indeed went on to make these corrections!

------------------
        "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
        http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

Working...
        X