What is your Default Earworm?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What is your Default Earworm?

"Earworms" are tunes that you find yourself humming without even realising what it is that you are .....well, humming.
    I have two ......one of them is the second movement of "Eine Kleine Nachtmusik " and the other is the opening movement of Dvorak's "American Quartet", formerly known by a more politically incorrect name.

Strangely enough, I have only one Beethoven earworm: the opening of his String Quartet, Opus 18. No. 3 (probably the first string quartet he composed.)

None of these works are anywhere near my Top Fifty musical favourites. So why do I find myself humming these tunes 95 per cent of the time?

Does anybody else have these humming obsessions?

C'mon - own up!

Some of my favorite earworms occur in the final movement of the first three of Beethoven's Piano Concerti. I find the last movement of his Violin Concerto has a tendency to stay in my head for a long time, after.

On the other hand, the mention of earworm brings Bolero to mind and then I have to go listen to something else to get it out of my head.

(Oh crap! I mentioned it.)

Comment

How awful for you Michael! Is there no cure? Thank goodness I don't have a default earworm, but I suffer from pupil mistake syndrome, hearing the pieces I've taught that day - for example one little girl I was teaching last week - her playing reminded me of someone with hiccups!
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

In Spanish we say that the music has stuck on yourself. The music of this or that composer can become an earworm for me, but never Beethoven. I have noticed that. Even Brahms can stick on me, but not Beethoven. Dunno the cause of this exception.
        Last edited by Enrique; 09-23-2013, 07:28 PM.

Comment

In the case of my Beethoven earworms, they are rather welcome and pleasant. There are several others that are not.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post
            How awful for you Michael! Is there no cure? Thank goodness I don't have a default earworm, but I suffer from pupil mistake syndrome, hearing the pieces I've taught that day - for example one little girl I was teaching last week - her playing reminded me of someone with hiccups!
            I'll settle for what I have after reading the above.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael View Post
              I'll settle for what I have after reading the above.
              Yes, better the devil you know! Just think what I have to put up with - it's usually the most ghastly grade 1 piece, catchy and the one they all want to learn and play badly - this year's set earworm is chattanooga-choo choo. After teaching it for the 5th time in a week and over a period of 6 months, I have to up the sanity pills!
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

As was the case for Mendelssohn himself, the first movement of his violin concerto sometimes gets into my head for weeks at a time and cannot be moved.

Comment

Originally posted by gardibolt View Post
                  As was the case for Mendelssohn himself, the first movement of his violin concerto sometimes gets into my head for weeks at a time and cannot be moved.
                  That is one I think I would like.

Comment

I would like it too.

Comment

Well I was doing a course on his sonatas in September and October which of course required a lot of listening to them and I would go to sleep hearing them and wake up hearing them- bit like being haunted but in a good way.

I want to be haunted by the second movement of the Ninth as it so beautiful, it is the musical equivalent of love.
                      Ludwig van Beethoven
                      Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                      Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

You surely mean the third movement, Aeolian.

Comment

Originally posted by Peter View Post

Were you teaching her Staccato excercises ?
                          I've been doing repetative Staccato excercise and it gets stuck in my head and drives me cuckoo! In fact the piece is named, The Woodpecker, sounds more like morse code when played.

Last edited by Megan; 12-07-2013, 05:14 AM.
                          🎹

Comment

Often I will get the second movement of Beethoven's Sym. #7 going through my head (like right now).
                            "God knows why it is that my pianoforte music always makes the worst impression on me, especially when it is played badly." -Beethoven 1804.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollywood View Post
                              Often I will get the second movement of Beethoven's Sym. #7 going through my head (like right now).
                              Oh how fortunate you are. A blessing in the head that is. I love the second movement of the 7th- my favourite part of it.
                              Ludwig van Beethoven
                              Den Sie wenn Sie wollten
                              Doch nicht vergessen sollten

Comment

Working...
                              X