Opus 2 n° 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:

I would like to read that Rod prefers a 1860's Bösendorfer of course but...
    Have you heard such an instrument? Frankly I'm not too concerned about the brand, as long as it has a Viennese action and a nice clear voice. But I would say of the instruments I have heard thus far, it is the 1820's Graf that is my favourite for Beethoven. It works well with B's earlier works as well as the late ones. If you (or anyone) has heard one of these Viennese pianos of circa 1830-1860 I'd like to know what you thought of it.

------------------
    "If I were but of noble birth..." - Rod Corkin
    http://classicalmusicmayhem.freeforums.org

Comment

I vote we move to digital pianos and dispense with the entire argument

Comment

Originally posted by Chris:
        I vote we move to digital pianos and dispense with the entire argument
        You jest Chris, but it may happen! In fact who knows what they'll be performing B on in 100 years from now, assuming they perform him at all with the current decline in CM generally.

------------------
        'Man know thyself'
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Claudie MICAULT:
          I find your duet on this subject very interesting Peter and Rod... please go on...
          I would like to read that Rod prefers a 1860's Bösendorfer of course but...

There isn't a great deal more to say Claudie - it's not the first time we've slogged this one out and I think our positions are quite clear. I hope at least everyone has learnt something about the piano and its development - You should all be experts on the English and Viennese actions by now!

------------------
          'Man know thyself'
          'Man know thyself'

Comment

Originally posted by Peter:
            There isn't a great deal more to say Claudie - it's not the first time we've slogged this one out and I think our positions are quite clear. I hope at least everyone has learnt something about the piano and its development - You should all be experts on the English and Viennese actions by now!

I'm perplexed as to why you still feel the need to slog it out with me on this matter. You say yourself in this chain that from what you have heard you prefer the Viennese fortepianos to the English from which todays models are..er..modeled, an opinion I'm certain formed largely with my assistance. And you say Steinway is not your favoured brand! It could be easily construed that you are perhaps living in denial? You can see the Grail yet choose not to grasp it for fear of the consequences. So be it, the Grail shall remain in my sole posession on my bathroom shelf.

------------------

[This message has been edited by Rod (edited 11-20-2001).]

Comment

Originally posted by Rod:
              I'm perplexed as to why you still feel the need to slog it out with me on this matter. You say yourself in this chain that from what you have heard you prefer the Viennese fortepianos to the English from which todays models are..er..modeled, an opinion I'm certain formed largely with my assistance. And you say Steinway is not your favoured brand! It could be easily construed that you are perhaps living in denial? You can see the Grail yet choose not to grasp it for fear of the consequences. So be it, the Grail shall remain in my sole posession on my bathroom shelf.

I don't see the need, but you keep harping on about it! Yes I prefer those Viennese fortepianos to the English that I've heard, which isn't many. Yes this is largely down to your guidance, but I seem to recall you were quite enthusiastic about a Broadwood we featured. When it comes to the classics, Steinway is not my preferred instrument but there again not all Steinways are the same. My teacher has one from the 1940's which has a wonderfully mellow tone, not harsh at all.

At least you have conceded some ground in that you see nothing wrong in using a Viennese actioned piano from the 1860's. Since Beethoven didn't live to see the perfection of the iron frame and since he was pretty deaf when he was in possession of his 1818 Broadwood, we can hardly conclude that he was totally against the English actioned pianos or more importantly that he would have disliked the modern instrument.

------------------
              'Man know thyself'
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

I don't see the need, but you keep harping on about it!

It takes two to Tango Peter. On top of that much of your discussion on this chain tends to dwell on words that you have put into my mouth.

Yes I prefer those Viennese fortepianos to the English that I've heard, which isn't many. Yes this is largely down to your guidance, but I seem to recall you were quite enthusiastic about a Broadwood we featured.
                They all sound much the same. A Broadwood is still better than a Steinway. B's was re-voiced to the Viennese taste.

[B
                At least you have conceded some ground in that you see nothing wrong in using a Viennese actioned piano from the 1860's. Since Beethoven didn't live to see the perfection of the iron frame and since he was pretty deaf when he was in possession of his 1818 Broadwood, we can hardly conclude that he was totally against the English actioned pianos or more importantly that he would have disliked the modern instrument.

[/B]
                Yet again you put words in my mouth, just because they were the end of the development line for Viennese pianos doesn't mean they are necessarily suited to all of B's compositions, but they are more likely to be than the 1860's Steinway. I'll reserve judgement until I've heard one of these instruments.

------------------

Comment

Working...
                X