Who said these words? - Beethoven or his friend

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Who said these words? - Beethoven or his friend

A Beethoven book's writer gave credit to Beethoven for saying the following words. Another essay writer indicated that these words were written by one of Beethoven's friends in a Conversation Book of January 1820. Who is right here?

"As a German, I was [Napoleon's] greatest enemy, but with the passage of time I have come to terms with him. If Napoleon were to return now, he could expect a better reception in Europe. He understood the spirit of the times and knew how to keep a firm hold on the reigns... He had an appreciation for art and science and hated darkness. He would have valued the Germans more and would have protected their rights... He fought the feudal system and was the protector of laws and rights...."

Karl-Heinz Köhler and Grita Herr, eds., Ludwig van Beethovens Koversationshefte, 6 vols. (Leipzig: VEB Deutscher Verlag fur Musik, 1972), 1:209-10. A Conversation Book for August 1823 contains mention of Las Cases' Memoires of St. Helena, published in German in that year. A comment is made that unlimited power spoiled Napoleon: "the power brought out so much evil...." bid., 4:59-60.
    Last edited by thesunlover; 07-17-2013, 02:02 AM.

The International Napoleonic Society believes it was the friend of Beethoven who wrote this.
    Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

I would agree - it doesn't sound like Beethoven's words and generally he didn't write down his responses but would speak them.
      'Man know thyself'

Comment

Thanks Fidelio and Peter. That's also what I thought.

It seems that Beethoven seldom expressed his political views or even discussed political subjects in his writings. Is it true?

Comment

Yes, you are correct. As the leading composer of the period that followed the French Revolution Beethoven sympathies were in line with those of the French Revolution- liberty, equality & fraternity. His views were often inconsistent and complex and Beethoven seldom expressed himself about politics. His most famous political comment was of course that when he heard that Napoleon had declared himself Emperor.

He often would comment on and share his grievances on the repressive laws that were in force in Vienna in 1815. He did write in 1823 (Anderson 1149) his desire to embrace the world and bind distant peoples through art; His contempt of the working classes were often unmistakable: 'the common citizen should be excluded from higher men', Beethoven wrote in 1820.

He had also been against tyranny, which is evident in Fidelio and Egmont and recollections from Ries.
          Fidelio

Must it be.....it must be

Comment

Thanks Fidelio for the info. It's interesting to know this "His contempt of the working classes were often unmistakable: 'the common citizen should be excluded from higher men', Beethoven wrote in 1820."

Near the end of Fidelio, Beethoven used an old theme from his "Cantata Funeral on the Death of Emperor Joseph II, WoO.87".

O Gott! O Gott! welch' ein Augenblick in Op.72 = IV. Aria con coro: 'Da stiegen die Menschen an's Licht' in WoO.87

So I think this opera is nothing to do with the French revolution.

Comment

Working...
            X