Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The Landfillharmonic

http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=UJrSUHK9Luw
    See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Wonderful Chaszz - thank you for sharing that!
    There is a fuller version here: http://www.youtube.com/watch_popup?v=UJrSUHK9Luw
    'Man know thyself'

Comment

The recycled instruments are ok for practice and that's about it.
      I wonder where they get all the violin bows from, even the cheapest ones the poor could not afford.
      🎹

Comment

Originally posted by Megan View Post
        The recycled instruments are ok for practice and that's about it.
        I wonder where they get all the violin bows from, even the cheapest ones the poor could not afford.
        I think that's missing the point Megan - watch the longer version I linked to, to see the difference it has made to these kid's lives.
        'Man know thyself'

Comment

Brilliant!

Comment

Interesting, isn't it, that these children, who would probably be considered by many people the lowest in society and the most uncultured, see right through to the greatness of classical music, which would likely be disdained as hopelessly outmoded and uncool by many more affluent kids interested only in rap and techno-pop. Of course, though, I'm sure their teacher helps decisively.

As for the quality of the instruments and sound, I've never heard a high school orchestra that did not sound at least slightly out of tune. This orchestra sounded in tune.
            See my paintings and sculptures at Saatchiart.com. In the search box, choose Artist and enter Charles Zigmund.

Comment

Originally posted by Chaszz View Post
              Interesting, isn't it, that these children, who would probably be considered by many people the lowest in society and the most uncultured, see right through to the greatness of classical music, which would likely be disdained as hopelessly outmoded and uncool by many more affluent kids interested only in rap and techno-pop. Of course, though, I'm sure their teacher helps decisively.

As for the quality of the instruments and sound, I've never heard a high school orchestra that did not sound at least slightly out of tune. This orchestra sounded in tune.
              Good points Chaszz and yes they sound much better than your average school orchestra here in the uk - they must have amazingly good teachers to inspire them to such a high standard on poor quality instruments.
              'Man know thyself'

Comment

This is a great initiative, and a clever name to boot!
                "If a thing is worth doing, it is worth doing badly." - G.K. Chesterton

Comment

Working...
                X