Beethoven at Bantry

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Beethoven at Bantry

Last Friday night my family and I attended an excellent performance of the three Razumovsky quartets. This was held in the town of Bantry which is very famous for its annual "West Cork Chamber Music Festival".
    The three Opus 59s were beautifully performed by the Quartetto di Cremona - a very talented and engaging group who did full justice to these works.

I believe it's rare enough to hear all three of these quartets on the same night so I have been looking forward to this since January.
    Then, as Beethoven would have put it, Fate intervened and struck me down with bad bout of flu. I also developed a reaction to some medication and emerged with a racking cough which could be heard in the next county. Up to the last minute, I didn't know if I would be able to attend or not - the venue being the library of Bantry House - and I had no wish to subject the audience to "Wellington's Victory" as well as the Razumovskys.

However, luckily I had booked seats near the exit, so I crammed my pockets with cough drops and boldy set forth. The minute the Cremona Quartet appeared and launched into the first quartet, I forgot all about my respiratory problems. It was a glorious couple of hours courtesy of Beethoven and Hall's Mentho-Lyptus!

Sounds like an excellent evening!

Comment

Glad that it worked out; it would have been tough to have missed that great opportunity!

Comment

Working...
      X